Old 03-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Arun Nair

Default Ext4 and large (>8TB) files

Hi -
(I apologize for the ext4 question in an ext3 mailer, but I couldn't find a user list for ext4.)
Per my understanding, ext4 can support file sizes upto 16 TiB if you use 4k blocks. I have a logical volume which uses ext4 with a 4k block size but I am unable to create files that are 8TiB (8796093022208 bytes) or larger.

[root@camanoe] ls -ltotal 8589935388-rw-rw---- 1 root root 8796093022207 2010-03-26 11:43 bigfile
[root@camanoe] echo x >> bigfile

-bash: echo: write error: File too large
[root@camanoe] df -h .Filesystem * * * * * *Size *Used Avail Use% Mounted on/dev/mapper/vg-mysql_vol

** * * * * * * * * * * 15T *8.1T *5.6T *60% /mysql
[root@camanoe]# tune2fs -l /dev/vg/mysql_vol | grep "Block size"

Block size: 4096
[root@camanoe]# uname -aLinux camanoe 2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE #1 SMP Wed May 27 17:28:22 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I'm probably doing something wrong here, but can't figure it out. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance.
Arun