-   EXT3 Users (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/)
-   -   Ext4 File System: newbee question (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/342558-ext4-file-system-newbee-question.html)

MirJafar Ali 03-16-2010 07:43 PM

Ext4 File System: newbee question

Hello,

I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 and it has ext4 filesystem. I have one very elementary question. When
I say my filesystem is "ext4", which directories are part of it. I mean from the root I can see some

directories such as /proc, /tmp, /dev etc. Are they store on the disk which have formatted with
ext4, of certain files resides somewhere else.

I am only sure only about /home directory because I keep my disk mobile and data goes with me all

the time.

Please execuse me for such a simple question.

Mir

Andreas Dilger 03-17-2010 05:45 PM

Ext4 File System: newbee question

I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 and it has ext4 filesystem. I have one
very elementary question. When I say my filesystem is "ext4", which
directories are part of it. I mean from the root I can see some
directories such as /proc, /tmp, /dev etc. Are they store on the
disk which have formatted with ext4, of certain files resides
somewhere else.

I am only sure only about /home directory because I keep my disk
mobile and data goes with me all the time.

Please run "mount" and "df", which show the mountpoints for each
filesystem.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group

03-17-2010 07:56 PM

Ext4 File System: newbee question

> [ ... ] my filesystem is "ext4", which directories are part of
> it.

'ext4' is a file system *type*. You can have many filesystems of
that type, each with its own tree of directories and files etc.

Each filesystem of type 'ext4' will be stored on a particular
storage device or a subsection of one, and will have some kind
of indentifying label.

Usually each filesystem tree will be stored in a partition on
some disk, and will be "mounted" on (that is, its directories
and files will appear under) some directory.

You can see a list of those by reading the file '/proc/mounts';
in a terminal shell the command 'grep ext4 /proc/mounts' will
print a list of all the currently active ("mounted") devices
containing an 'ext4' filesystem.

For a list of the more important ones in a more readable format
run in a terminal shell the command 'df -T -BG -a'.

> I mean from the root I can see some directories such as /proc,
> /tmp, /dev etc.

Those 3 directories are usually the mount points for special
file system types, and almost never 'ext4' type.

> Are they store on the disk which have formatted with ext4, of
> certain files resides somewhere else.

Some filesystems are stored only in memory as they are not
persistent, as they represent temporary entities.

> I am only sure only about /home directory because I keep my
> disk mobile and data goes with me all the time.

Most likely both the devices mounted on the "/" and "/home"
directories contain filesystems of type 'ext4'.

There are several tutorials online and in print that explain
what is a file system type, a filesystem instance of a type,
and the storage ("block device") holding that instance.