Old 03-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Kyle Brandt

Default fstab Pass Column and forced disk checks

If I have the 6th column in fstab (the pass column) set to 0, does that
mean disk checks will never be forced at boot regardless of anything like
File System State, Mount Count, and Check Interval on the file system
itself, or are there exceptions to this?

I know `man fstab` says:
If the sixth field is not present or
zero, a value of zero is returned and
fsck will assume that the filesystem
does not need to be checked.

But I wasn't sure if the fsck might be triggered in other ways during boot.

Thank you,
Kyle Brandt
http://www.kbrandt.com

Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Charles Riley

If the pass column is 0, no automatic check is done.
It's been my experience that setting it that way is a bad idea though, unless you plan on periodic manual fscks.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Andreas Dilger