-   EXT3 Users (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/)
-   -   e2fsprogs Help. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/333050-e2fsprogs-help.html)

MirJafar Ali 02-27-2010 04:52 PM

e2fsprogs Help.

Hello,

Hope you will forgive me for asking some very simple question about e2fsprogs. I am very new to the kernel as
well as file system programming.

My task is to collect superblock, inode, bitmap ( or free list)* information from ext2/ext3 filesysteam. After searching

the google, I came to know about e2fsprogs, which I was able to install and use at least "dumpe2fs" utility. This
utility do not provide timestamp of each allocated inode and I am thinking of modifying source code of e2fsprogs.

My two questions are:

1. * Is it correct to use "dumpe2fs" program and modify for timestamp ?
2. * I could not understand the main purpose of e2fsprogs. Am I correct to assume that this program extract information

* ** from the existing ext2/ext3 filesystem. Why there are ext2_inode datastructure defined in these programs ? Why couldn't
* ** these programs read existing datastructures of inode ?
3.* Are these user level or kernel level programs ?

4.* I want to have my own policies of allocatiing datablocks in some cylinder group instead of using ext2 default policy ? What
*** should I do for that ?

I know, these must be silly questions, but I will learn from your response.

Mir.
*

02-28-2010 04:56 AM

e2fsprogs Help.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:52:38AM -0600, MirJafar Ali wrote:

> Hope you will forgive me for asking some very simple question about
> e2fsprogs. I am very new to the kernel as
> well as file system programming.
>
> My task is to collect superblock, inode, bitmap ( or free list) information
> from ext2/ext3 filesysteam. After searching
> the google, I came to know about e2fsprogs, which I was able to install and
> use at least "dumpe2fs" utility. This
> utility do not provide timestamp of each allocated inode and I am thinking
> of modifying source code of e2fsprogs.

Um, this wouldn't be for a school assignment, would it?

Why are you being asked to do this? What is the high level problem
are you trying to solve, or the high-level goal you are trying to
accomplish?

> My two questions are:
>
> 1. Is it correct to use "dumpe2fs" program and modify for timestamp ?

Probably not. You might want to look at the "debugfs" program, which
is also included in e2fsprogs. Reading the man pages would alos be a
good idea.

Do you realize that these programs were probably already installed on
your Linux system?

> 2. I could not understand the main purpose of e2fsprogs. Am I correct to
> assume that this program extract information
> from the existing ext2/ext3 filesystem.

E2fsprogs is a suite of programs that provide the userspace support
for the ext2, ext3, and ext4 file systems. So mke2fs wil create a new
file system; debugfs is the program that allows you to look at and
manipulate low-level file system structures conveniently from
userspace (for debugging or developer convenience; users of file
systems shouldn't be using this for their everyday activities); e2fsck
is the filesystem consistency checker, and so on.

> Why there are ext2_inode
> datastructure defined in these programs ? Why couldn't
> these programs read existing datastructures of inode ?
> 3. Are these user level or kernel level programs ?

OK, now I'm *sure* this is for a school assignment.

> 4. I want to have my own policies of allocatiing datablocks in some
> cylinder group instead of using ext2 default policy ? What
> should I do for that ?

If you can't tell the difference between user and kernel level
programs, you're probably way out of your depth to be trying to do
this. I suggest you talk to your professor or recitation
instructor....

- Ted