Old 02-23-2010, 08:59 PM
MirJafar Ali

Default Ext2/Ext3 File layout policies

Hello,

I studied some of the papers on file layout in ext2/ext3, but all the papers are at least 10-12
years old.* Can someone give hints/reference of survey of changes in file layout policies in the
last 4-5 years ?

I am interesting in knowing some* weakness in ext2/ext3* that that possibly our group can work
on.

Thanks.

Mir

*

Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Christian Kujau

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 at 15:59, MirJafar Ali wrote:
> I studied some of the papers on file layout in ext2/ext3, but all the papers
> are at least 10-12 years old.

Do you mean "file layout" or "filsystem layout", as in "FHS"[0]?

> Can someone give hints/reference of survey of changes in file
> layout policies in the last 4-5 years ?

What do you mean by "survey of changes"? The changes to ext2/3 can be
seen in the kernel's version history (git log), starting at 2.6.12, IIRC.

> I am interesting in knowing some weakness in ext2/ext3 that that possibly
> our group can work on.

A "weakness", you mean like a security flaw? Or perhaps I mis-parsed the
sentence completely....

Christian.

[0] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
--
BOFH excuse #289:

Interference between the keyboard and the chair.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Theodore Tso

On Feb 23, 2010, at 4:59 PM, MirJafar Ali wrote:

> I studied some of the papers on file layout in ext2/ext3, but all the papers are at least 10-12
> years old. Can someone give hints/reference of survey of changes in file layout policies in the
> last 4-5 years ?

There are a number of newer papers in the ext4 Wiki: http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org. Click on the Publications / Articles link.

I'm not sure what you mean by "file layout policies". Do you mean how the filesystem lays out its metadata? Do you mean the block allocation algorithms? And for what purpose are you interested in knowing about layout policies in particular.

> I am interesting in knowing some weakness in ext2/ext3 that that possibly our group can work
> on.

- Ted