-   EXT3 Users (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/)
-   -   Invalid superblock after e2fsck (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/329617-invalid-superblock-after-e2fsck.html)

"Stephen Samuel (gmail)" 02-21-2010 11:51 AM

Invalid superblock after e2fsck

The system is using the backup superblock -- which sounds* reasonable, under the circumstances, and should result in a half-decent recovery.

A couple of questions:
Was the superblock zero to begin with, or did it become zero during the FSCK?

In either case, I'm worried about the zero data having been written. This is obviously worth further investigation.
Did the system abort the FSCK after this error? or did you stop it?
did you try explicitly using one of the backup superblocks?

* a list of backup superblocks can be found by using -n on mkfs
* check the -b option on fsck.ext2 for more details on the backup superblock defaults.