Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   EXT3 Users (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/)
-   -   ext3-fs error (bad entry in directory) (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/299226-ext3-fs-error-bad-entry-directory.html)

Markus Oehme 12-20-2009 08:35 AM

ext3-fs error (bad entry in directory)
 
Hello everybody,

we have a bit of a strange problem with our ext3 partition here. We have a
lot of the following errors occuring in dmesg:

Dec 16 02:09:06 hestia kernel: [1594272.845672] EXT3-fs error (device dm-2): ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory #17083: rec_len % 4 != 0 - offset=0, inode=76, rec_len=5121, name_len=2

Mount options are

/dev/mapper/hestia-home on /srv/samba/homes type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,usrquota,grpquota)

We already did a complete test to the hard drives and they seem to be
fine. e2fsck also doesn't fix the problem. Currently we suspect the
controller, but that's pure speculation and otherwise the machine is running
quitely.

Sometimes the corresponding partitions is automatically remounted read-only,
which is quite a hazzle.

The message is always exactly the same. Somebody have a clue as to what is
going on here? And an easier question: How do I find out which directory is
#17083?

Markus Oehme

PS: Please Cc me, since I'm not on the list.

--
Aoccdrnig to a threoy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod
are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the
rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it in msot
csaes. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef,
but the wrod as a wlohe. And I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

_______________________________________________
Ext3-users mailing list
Ext3-users@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/ext3-users

Eric Sandeen 12-22-2009 04:15 PM

ext3-fs error (bad entry in directory)
 
Markus Oehme wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> we have a bit of a strange problem with our ext3 partition here. We have a
> lot of the following errors occuring in dmesg:
>
> Dec 16 02:09:06 hestia kernel: [1594272.845672] EXT3-fs error (device dm-2): ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory #17083: rec_len % 4 != 0 - offset=0, inode=76, rec_len=5121, name_len=2

You didn't mention what kernel you were using; there was one significant fix
in this area a while back,

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ef2b02d3e617cb0400eedf2668f8621 5e1b0e6af

> Mount options are
>
> /dev/mapper/hestia-home on /srv/samba/homes type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,usrquota,grpquota)
>
> We already did a complete test to the hard drives and they seem to be
> fine. e2fsck also doesn't fix the problem. Currently we suspect the
> controller, but that's pure speculation and otherwise the machine is running
> quitely.

does e2fsck -find- the problem? what version of e2fsprogs did you use?

If it checks clean then maybe it is a controller or memory error...

> Sometimes the corresponding partitions is automatically remounted read-only,
> which is quite a hazzle.
>
> The message is always exactly the same. Somebody have a clue as to what is
> going on here? And an easier question: How do I find out which directory is
> #17083?

you can use debugfs:

debugfs: ncheck
ncheck: Usage: ncheck <inode number> ...
debugfs: ncheck 6031
Inode Pathname
6031 //testfilename

-Eric

> Markus Oehme
>
> PS: Please Cc me, since I'm not on the list.

_______________________________________________
Ext3-users mailing list
Ext3-users@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/ext3-users

Markus Oehme 12-23-2009 03:23 PM

ext3-fs error (bad entry in directory)
 
At Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:15:03 -0600,
Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > The message is always exactly the same. Somebody have a clue as to what is
> > going on here? And an easier question: How do I find out which directory is
> > #17083?
>
> you can use debugfs:
>
> debugfs: ncheck
> ncheck: Usage: ncheck <inode number> ...
> debugfs: ncheck 6031
> Inode Pathname
> 6031 //testfilename

That solved the problem. We must have had a failed write there, I found an
empty directory, that should have been a file by the semantics, quite
strange. Fortunately I could simply delete it and now everything seems to be
fine.

Thanks a lot for the pointer.

Markus

--
My key: http://users.minet.uni-jena.de/~veelai/veelai.gpg
--
For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more
intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much---the wheel, New
York, wars and so on---while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about
in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always
believed that they were far more intelligent than man---for precisely the
same reasons. (Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.)

_______________________________________________
Ext3-users mailing list
Ext3-users@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/ext3-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.