Old 03-24-2009, 04:02 PM
howard chen

Default Recommended max. limit of number of files per directory?

Hello,

In the past (i.e. Ext2), the performance of file system will get worse
if too many files (e.g. > 10K) under same directory, is it still the
same for Ext3?

Since I have a web server which contains a lot of user uploaded
photos, currently I have already create directory hierarchy to avoid
the performance issue with the file system, but I want to know if any
exact / tested figures?

Thanks.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 01:02:27 +0800,
howard chen <howachen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the past (i.e. Ext2), the performance of file system will get worse
> if too many files (e.g. > 10K) under same directory, is it still the
> same for Ext3?

If you turn on directory hashing it scales better but eventually
performance will still tank. You can use tune2fs to see how it is set and
change it if necessay.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:52 PM
howard chen

Hello,

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 3:45 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> If you turn on directory hashing it scales better but eventually
> performance will still tank. You can use tune2fs to see how it is set and
> change it if necessay.

Yes, but I want to know if any testings was performed before?

e.g.

Ext3 start to suck when number of files under the same directory exceed X files.