Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Alessandro Dentella

Default undeletable files - even after fsck.ext3 -f (long)

Hi,

sorry for the long mail but I'm really in an emergency and have no enought
specific knowledge to understand what is happening.

situation
=========

I have a samba server (debian etch, kernel 2.6.26) on which a user
'silvia' has a profile that got corrupted in some way (see below). I
wanted to get rid of the files but there is no way to delete them:

srv-: # ll
total 16
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? compreg.dat
drwxrwsr-x+ 2 silvia amministrazione 6 2007-06-08 18:33 extensions
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? extensions.rdf
drwxrwsr-x+ 3 silvia amministrazione 46 2007-10-31 16:16 ImapMail
-rwx------ 1 mauro amministrazione 62 2007-03-28 15:53 impab.mab
drwxrwsr-x+ 3 silvia amministrazione 26 2007-06-08 18:34 Mail

srv-: # rm compreg.dat
rm: cannot remove `compreg.dat': No such file or directory

I hava already used fsck (clean filesystem) and fsck -f (FILESYSTEM
MODIFIED, but I think is just becouse it added lost+found)

if I look for all files I obtain:

# find ! -user silvia -ls
find: ./guhdjtzd.default/extensions.rdf: No such file or directory
find: ./guhdjtzd.default/extensions.rdf: No such file or directory
53348196 4 -rwx------ 1 mauro amministrazione 62 Mar 28 2007 ./guhdjtzd.default/impab.mab
find: ./guhdjtzd.default/compreg.dat: No such file or directory
find: ./guhdjtzd.default/compreg.dat: No such file or directory

copying files
==============

I also tried to copy using 'cp -a dir_with_corrupetd_file /tmp' and I
ended up

1. filling the / (It was way too big -- / is a diffrent filesystem/disk)
2. a directory that cannot be deleted:

srv-fossati:/tmp/pappo# rm -Rf M
rm: cannot chdir from `.' to `M': Exec format error

orign of these file
====================

Just in case it is of any help to diagnose the problem, the corrupted file
have a very strange origin: they where found there with ownership
'postfix' in a folder of the profile of 'silvia' in a directory of
Thunderbird settings: at that moment (apart from the ownership that was
not easy to explain) I could read the file (a normal mail message). What
was strance was that I could see 2 occurrencies of that file using 'ls -l'
so that I thought there was some unprintable char in the name and decided
to delete it. After the attempt to delete it I obtained the situation
described above.

What now?
=========

I'm really lost. I don't have *any* idea of how to repare the filesystem
or what can be the cause: virus? memory corruption on server (I tested it
10 day ago due to some strange freeze, but resulted no error in 24 hours
of memtest), controller (/ and /home are on different controllers).

I'd be really thankfull for any possible hint

Thanks in advance
sandro

--
Sandro Dentella *:-)
http://sqlkit.argolinux.org SQLkit home page - PyGTK/python/sqlalchemy

Old 03-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Alessandro Dentella

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:03:51PM +0100, Alessandro Dentella wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for the long mail but I'm really in an emergency and have no enought
> specific knowledge to understand what is happening.

I'm sorry for this mail, but I made a big mistake. I checked one filesystem
when the file was on another filesystem... checking the correct filesystem
(/home that was an xfs) fixed the problem.

Still there are many things that are not at all clear in the genesis of the
problem, and the fact that copying the directory the corruption of the
filesystem propagated. Should anybody have any idea I'd be pleased to read
it.

sandro