Old 03-12-2009, 07:27 PM
"James McKain [Gmail]"

Default Ubuntu Ibex on single SATA Seagate disk, ext3

I'm having a strange problem I've never seen before.* Sometimes my system crashes, and upon restart I am missing *at least* a handful of files.* They are completely gone and untraceable.* At first I forced fsck on reboot, and that helped recover some of them, but the problem continues.* I have no clue even where to start tracing this.* Can anyone help?* The system is a new AMD Phenom on a SATA Seagate 1Tb disk.* Ubuntu Ibex is the only OS loaded, on ext3 partitioned 5 ways.

My system just crashed today, and now that I'm back up and running there is one file in particular that is completely gone.* I haven't touched this file in months, and it just up and disappeared.

I checked with Seagate to see if my drive was part of the recall, it's not. (so they say)

HELP!

Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 AM
Christian Kujau

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, James McKain [Gmail] wrote:
> I'm having a strange problem I've never seen before. Sometimes my system
> crashes

What's wrong with this system that it sometimes just "crashes"?

>, and upon restart I am missing *at least* a handful of files. They
> are completely gone and untraceable. At first I forced fsck on reboot, and
> that helped recover some of them, but the problem continues.

Anything related in the logs, does fsck report anything during bootup?

> My system just crashed today, and now that I'm back up and running there is
> one file in particular that is completely gone. I haven't touched this file
> in months, and it just up and disappeared.

Did anything show up in /lost+found?

> I checked with Seagate to see if my drive was part of the recall, it's not.

Speaking of drive errors: did you test your drive, can you read from the
beginning to the end of it without any errors?

Christian.
--
If you want to contact Bruce Schneier, just type his name into your shell
prompt.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Tweeks

On Thursday 12 March 2009, James McKain [Gmail] wrote:
> I'm having a strange problem I've never seen before. Sometimes my system
> crashes, and upon restart I am missing *at least* a handful of files. They
> are completely gone and untraceable. At first I forced fsck on reboot, and
> that helped recover some of them, but the problem continues. I have no
> clue even where to start tracing this. Can anyone help? The system is a
> new AMD Phenom on a SATA Seagate 1Tb disk. Ubuntu Ibex is the only OS
> loaded, on ext3 partitioned 5 ways.
>
> My system just crashed today, and now that I'm back up and running there is
> one file in particular that is completely gone. I haven't touched this
> file in months, and it just up and disappeared.
>
> I checked with Seagate to see if my drive was part of the recall, it's not.
> (so they say)

Test it using smart:

# smartctl -T permissive -d ata -s on /dev/sda
# smartctl -T permissive -d ata -t long /dev/sda && sleep 2h && smartctl -T
permissive -d ata -l selftest /dev/sda

If the output is all %00, then the drive is passing it's self test. If it's
failing before it reached %00 (down form 100%) then it's failing.. get your
stuff off asap.

Tweeks

at abuse@rackspace.com, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Stephen Samuel

One question I have* is: why is the system repeatedly rebooting?? The answer to that question may
point to something about why you're losing data.

I tend to find that, with Linux (and unlike some other OSs [cough]WIndows[cough]), repeated

crashes tend to point to some kind of hardware error, and -- where there's a software source to
the crashes -- there are people who are genuinely interested in(and capable of) resolving the problem.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Tweeks <tweeks@rackspace.com> wrote:

On Thursday 12 March 2009, James McKain [Gmail] wrote:

> I'm having a strange problem I've never seen before. *Sometimes my system

> crashes, and upon restart I am missing *at least* a handful of files. *They

> are completely gone and untraceable. *At first I forced fsck on reboot, and

> that helped recover some of them, but the problem continues. *I have no

> clue even where to start tracing this. *Can anyone help? *The system is a

> new AMD Phenom on a SATA Seagate 1Tb disk. *Ubuntu Ibex is the only OS

> loaded, on ext3 partitioned 5 ways.

> My system just crashed today, and now that I'm back up and running there is

> one file in particular that is completely gone. *I haven't touched this

> file in months, and it just up and disappeared.

> I checked with Seagate to see if my drive was part of the recall, it's not.

> (so they say)

Test it using smart:

# smartctl -T permissive -d ata -s on /dev/sda

# smartctl -T permissive -d ata -t long /dev/sda && sleep 2h && smartctl -T

permissive -d ata -l selftest /dev/sda

If the output is all %00, then the drive is passing it's self test. *If it's

failing before it reached %00 (down form 100%) then it's failing.. get your

stuff off asap.

Tweeks

at abuse@rackspace.com, and delete the original message.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

Stephen Samuel http://www.bcgreen.com
778-861-7641

Old 03-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Tweeks

But when Linux crashes.. it tends NOT to just automatically reboot (unless
specifically set up to do so). It usually either black screens, sig-faults,
or stops.

Tweeks

Old 03-14-2009, 02:31 AM
"James McKain [Gmail]"

Hi group, thanks for the replies.* I ran the smartctl diags and they returned successful.* No problems there.* Thanks for the commands.

The "crash" problems have mainly been freeze-ups.* Everything just seems to halt and I have to hit the reset button.* I had a couple instances where X crashed but the machine seemed to stay running.* I just had to hit the reset button to continue.* The other day my keyboard and mouse suddenly froze.* I could see the system running fine, but I couldn't interact with it.* I could pull up SMB shares and even fired-through a print job, but nothing I did could recover the input devices (not event physical disconnection), except of course for the magic reset button.* The disk/EXT3 problems seem to surface after the crashes;* fsck repairs most of the damage, but in every instance I'm missing at least a handful of files from across the disk/partitions.* Some files are gone without a trace, others are reverted back to states/timestamps of months prior, with any recent changes (<2wks) completely overwritten.* By far the stranges disk behavior I've ever come across....how does a file decide to revert itself, and how does it regurgitate the previous file/timestamp to revert back to!?* Almost as if I there was a secret CVS system running or something.

What I find most bazarre about the file problem is that my operating system files have remained resiliant.* Not one missing critical file or lost config.* It always seems to be my email (Thunderbird), PHP or Java (.jsp and .java) files that are affected.* Any chance this is a permissions issue tip-off?

I have good reason to believe there is a problem with the motherboard.* I was getting 4 beeps when it posts so I started debugging via BIOS settings and discovered if I disable USB support it posts cleanly.* Running stable now, so far so good anyways (8hrs).* I am in the process of getting an RMA from MSI...should have a replacement in 10-15 days they say.* They suggested a bad cmos battery could cause the I/O write errors, which I skeptically absorbed (from the tech).* I think it's just a bad board.

If anyone is interested in the outcome let me know and I'll fill you in a couple weeks from now.* For the rest of the group who get too many emails as it is, thank you for listening!

Best.
-James