Old 02-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Ross Boylan

Default ext2_check_mount_point: No such file ...

I am trying to shrink an ext3 filesystem mounted on top of software
RAID. The ultimate goal is to shrink the RAID to make room for a new
installation that will use LVM over RAID. I get the error in the
subject, and wonder what I need to do to avoid it. Details follow:

Shrinking needs to be done offline, right?

After being unable to get Knoppix started I used the break=bottom to
stop the boot process while I was still in the initrd. When I
dismounted the filesystem I discovered my initrd didn't have the ext3
utilities. I remount the file system and copied /sbin, /lib, and /etc
onto my ramdisk. Without /etc fsck complained about being unable to
find fstab; afterwords, it ran.

However, both fsck and resize2fs complained
ext2_check_mount_point: No such file or directory while determining
whether /dev/md1 is mounted.

Adding the -f flag did not help.

There is no /etc/mtab file.

I realize this is all pretty dodgy, but is there a way I can deal with
this problem? What file or directory is it looking for?
--
Ross Boylan wk: (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700 ross@biostat.ucsf.edu

Old 02-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Eric Sandeen

Ross Boylan wrote:
> I am trying to shrink an ext3 filesystem mounted on top of software
> RAID. The ultimate goal is to shrink the RAID to make room for a new
> installation that will use LVM over RAID. I get the error in the
> subject, and wonder what I need to do to avoid it. Details follow:
>
> Shrinking needs to be done offline, right?
>
> After being unable to get Knoppix started I used the break=bottom to
> stop the boot process while I was still in the initrd. When I
> dismounted the filesystem I discovered my initrd didn't have the ext3
> utilities. I remount the file system and copied /sbin, /lib, and /etc
> onto my ramdisk. Without /etc fsck complained about being unable to
> find fstab; afterwords, it ran.
>
> However, both fsck and resize2fs complained
> ext2_check_mount_point: No such file or directory while determining
> whether /dev/md1 is mounted.
>
> Adding the -f flag did not help.
>
> There is no /etc/mtab file.
>
> I realize this is all pretty dodgy, but is there a way I can deal with
> this problem? What file or directory is it looking for?

try "cp /proc/mounts to /etc/mtab" perhaps. Maybe the tools should
check both (if they don't already, I haven't actually checked yet)

-eric

Old 02-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Theodore Tso

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:39:59AM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > However, both fsck and resize2fs complained
> > ext2_check_mount_point: No such file or directory while determining
> > whether /dev/md1 is mounted.
> >
> > Adding the -f flag did not help.
> >
> > There is no /etc/mtab file.
> >
> > I realize this is all pretty dodgy, but is there a way I can deal with
> > this problem? What file or directory is it looking for?
>
> try "cp /proc/mounts to /etc/mtab" perhaps. Maybe the tools should
> check both (if they don't already, I haven't actually checked yet)

The tools do check both already. So the easist solution is

mount -t proc proc /proc

- Ted

Old 02-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Ross Boylan

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 10:39 -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Ross Boylan wrote:
> > I am trying to shrink an ext3 filesystem mounted on top of software
> > RAID. The ultimate goal is to shrink the RAID to make room for a new
> > installation that will use LVM over RAID. I get the error in the
> > subject, and wonder what I need to do to avoid it. Details follow:
> >
> > Shrinking needs to be done offline, right?
> >
> > After being unable to get Knoppix started I used the break=bottom to
> > stop the boot process while I was still in the initrd. When I
> > dismounted the filesystem I discovered my initrd didn't have the ext3
> > utilities. I remount the file system and copied /sbin, /lib, and /etc
> > onto my ramdisk. Without /etc fsck complained about being unable to
> > find fstab; afterwords, it ran.
> >
> > However, both fsck and resize2fs complained
> > ext2_check_mount_point: No such file or directory while determining
> > whether /dev/md1 is mounted.
> >
> > Adding the -f flag did not help.
> >
> > There is no /etc/mtab file.
> >
> > I realize this is all pretty dodgy, but is there a way I can deal with
> > this problem? What file or directory is it looking for?
>
> try "cp /proc/mounts to /etc/mtab" perhaps. Maybe the tools should
> check both (if they don't already, I haven't actually checked yet)

Thanks; that worked. Unfortunately, after resizing the filesystem I had
trouble resizing the underlying partitions. I backed up, and now I'm
going to do a fresh install.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Eric Sandeen

Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 10:39 -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> Ross Boylan wrote:

>>> There is no /etc/mtab file.
>>>
>>> I realize this is all pretty dodgy, but is there a way I can deal with
>>> this problem? What file or directory is it looking for?
>> try "cp /proc/mounts to /etc/mtab" perhaps. Maybe the tools should
>> check both (if they don't already, I haven't actually checked yet)
>
> Thanks; that worked. Unfortunately, after resizing the filesystem I had
> trouble resizing the underlying partitions. I backed up, and now I'm
> going to do a fresh install.

Just to double check; did you have to mount /proc first?

-Eric