Old 02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Jochen Rueter

Default un'stat'able files - fs corruption?

Hello list,

I have some serious problems on my ext3 filesystem. Several folders
contain files, which cannot be accessed in any way,
not even a stat() on these files is possible:

[~]$ ls -l
-rwxrwxr-x 1 yvonne users 30208 2007-09-16 12:49 Stoffverteilungsplan
tw kl4 07.doc
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? Teddyb?r.docx

?--------- ? ? ? ? ? Termine f?r montag
kiga.doc

-rwxrwxr-x 1 yvonne users 28672 2001-11-18 17:29 tiere bei den indios.doc
[~]$ rm Teddy*
Teddyb?r.docx: No such file or directory

In this example, e.g. the file named Teddyb?r.docx has these problems. I
know it has some non-printable characters in its filename,
which seems to be somehow related to the problem, however I have other
files containing such characters which can be accessed fine
when escaping the characters correctly. Also, those other files show up
correctly in the output of 'ls', and 'stat()' works

on these files.

Also e2fsck does not find any errors on this filesystem.
Can anybody help me getting rid of these files?

Thanks alot,

Jochen

Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Forest Bond

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 01:47:02PM +0100, Jochen Rueter wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have some serious problems on my ext3 filesystem. Several folders
> contain files, which cannot be accessed in any way,
> not even a stat() on these files is possible:
>
> [~]$ ls -l
> -rwxrwxr-x 1 yvonne users 30208 2007-09-16 12:49 Stoffverteilungsplan
> tw kl4 07.doc
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? Teddyb?r.docx
>
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? Termine f?r montag
> kiga.doc
> -rwxrwxr-x 1 yvonne users 28672 2001-11-18 17:29 tiere bei den indios.doc
> [~]$ rm Teddy*
> Teddyb?r.docx: No such file or directory

[...]

I recall having a similar problem with UTF-8 filenames when I took an external
drive from a x86 machine and plugged it into a powerpc machine. After spending
hours trying to fix this mysterious filesystem "corruption," I got home and
plugged it into the original machine. Everything was back to normal.

I speculated at the time that the byte order of the machine was somehow
affecting filename encoding. In hindsight, this doesn't make a lot of sense to
me (UTF-8 defines byte order).

Some bug in userspace? I don't know.

-Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net

Old 02-12-2009, 05:35 AM
Christian Kujau

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Jochen Rueter wrote:
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? Teddyb?r.docx
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? Termine f?r montag
[...]
> Also e2fsck does not find any errors on this filesystem.

Hm, strange that e2fsck (current version?) does not report any errors,
because I somehow find it hard to believe that it should be related to the
umlauts in the filename. Did you try moving the files via its inode#?
Something like:

# ls -li
1234 ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? Teddyb?r.docx
# find . -inum 1234 -exec mv '{}' Teddybaer.docx ;

...does that work?

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #102:

Power company testing new voltage spike (creation) equipment

Old 02-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Jochen Rueter

My e2fsck is version e2fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006), which is included in
debian lenny.

Actually, ls seems even not to be able to determine the inode number:

21022170 -rwxrwxr-x 1 yvonne users 30208 2007-09-16 12:49
Stoffverteilungsplan tw kl4 07.doc
? ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? Termine für
Dienstag kiga.doc

Maybe it's worth noting that this is running on arm: 2.6.21 #1 PREEMPT
Tue May 8 21:05:53 CEST 2007 armv5tel GNU/Linux

Jochen

Old 02-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Stephen Samuel

When you ran the FSCK, did you force the check ( -f )?
Usually fsck will refuse to run a full test if it thinks that the filesystem was unmounted
cleanly or if it thinks that running the log will be sufficient cleanup.

Also, have you moved this filesystem between machines (and, most notably, between architectures)?

My e2fsck is version e2fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006), which is included in debian lenny.

Actually, ls seems even not to be able to determine the inode number:

21022170 -rwxrwxr-x 1 yvonne users * *30208 2007-09-16 12:49 Stoffverteilungsplan tw kl4 07.doc

Christian Kujau schrieb:

Also e2fsck does not find any errors on this filesystem.

**

--
Stephen Samuel http://www.bcgreen.com
778-861-7641