Old 12-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Adam Flott

Default Incorrect disk usage size

After an aptitude safe-upgrade of Debian's testing (as of today) my root file
system (ext3) seems to have "filled up" and I'm not sure how to get Linux to
correctly report the used size.

The drive doesn't appear to be going out as the logs haven't indicated
anything suspicious yet. smartmontools didn't show anything abnormal either.

$ df
/dev/sda1 48062440 46976212 0 100% /
tmpfs 2031948 0 2031948 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10240 96 10144 1% /dev
tmpfs 2031948 0 2031948 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda6 332671516 72230148 243542600 23% /home
overflow 1024 52 972 6% /tmp

$ du -sh -x /
5.6G /

$ cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered 0 0

$ tune2fs -l /dev/sda1
tune2fs 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
Filesystem volume name: <none>
Last mounted on: <not available>
Filesystem UUID: c565110d-be25-4655-b173-178b9c1a3032
Filesystem magic number: 0xEF53
Filesystem revision #: 1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features: has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype
needs_recovery sparse_super large_file
Filesystem flags: signed_directory_hash
Default mount options: (none)
Filesystem state: clean
Errors behavior: Continue
Filesystem OS type: Linux
Inode count: 3055616
Block count: 12207384
Reserved block count: 610369
Free blocks: 271557
Free inodes: 2519269
First block: 0
Block size: 4096
Fragment size: 4096
Reserved GDT blocks: 1021
Blocks per group: 32768
Fragments per group: 32768
Inodes per group: 8192
Inode blocks per group: 512
Filesystem created: Sun Oct 26 13:12:33 2008
Last mount time: Sat Dec 20 17:04:53 2008
Last write time: Sat Dec 20 17:04:53 2008
Mount count: 1
Maximum mount count: 24
Last checked: Sat Dec 20 16:56:52 2008
Check interval: 15552000 (6 months)
Next check after: Thu Jun 18 17:56:52 2009
Reserved blocks uid: 0 (user root)
Reserved blocks gid: 0 (group root)
First inode: 11
Inode size: 256
Journal inode: 8
Default directory hash: tea
Directory Hash Seed: 57f7b146-08dd-4b8b-884e-31df7ee54afa
Journal backup: inode blocks

$ uname -a
Linux an 2.6.26-1-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 15 17:25:36 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I've looked for large files/directories via find (-type d/f -size +1G) and
fsck'ing the partition multiple times with various options, but no luck. I
tried copying a file large enough to have cp abort due to being out of disk
space as well.

Is there anything else I can do to besides reinstalling?

Adam

Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 18:37:41 -0600,
Adam Flott <adam@npjh.com> wrote:
> After an aptitude safe-upgrade of Debian's testing (as of today) my root file
> system (ext3) seems to have "filled up" and I'm not sure how to get Linux to
> correctly report the used size.

Are you aware that there is space in file systems reserved for use only by
root? That may explain your confusion.

The purpose of the reserve is to allow a sysadm to allow some things to keep
working even if a normal user fills up a file system.

The size of the reserve on ext2/3 file systems can be changed with tune2fs.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:22 PM
"Ulf Zimmermann"

Your problem is probably files in /var, not necessary over 1GB in size.
I don't know where Debian saves packages downloaded via apt, but yum for
example has a /var/cache/yum and you can run "yum clean packages". I
would expect apt to have something similar.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Christian Kujau