Old 01-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Sergey Shyman

Default Big problem with huge number of files

Hi all,

I have an issue when I can't get directory listing for maildir with huge
number of files inside. Neither ls, du or any other command finished
successfully, it just running for hours without any success. Does
anybody know how I could get directory listing and copies of my files?
Any pointing would be great and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Here is info about this partition:
Filesystem volume name: <none>
Last mounted on: <not available>
Filesystem UUID: 3395b7eb-746c-4fc1-a52e-76547ca7454d
Filesystem magic number: 0xEF53
Filesystem revision #: 1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features: has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index
filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file

Default mount options: (none)
Filesystem state: clean
Errors behavior: Continue
Filesystem OS type: Linux
Inode count: 30507008
Block count: 61008816
Reserved block count: 3050440
Free blocks: 36021498
Free inodes: 20268094
First block: 0
Block size: 4096
Fragment size: 4096
Reserved GDT blocks: 1024
Blocks per group: 32768
Fragments per group: 32768
Inodes per group: 16384
Inode blocks per group: 512
Filesystem created: Thu Apr 27 23:40:04 2006
Last mount time: Fri Jan 2 15:11:02 2009
Last write time: Fri Jan 2 15:52:25 2009
Mount count: 37
Maximum mount count: -1
Last checked: Thu Apr 27 23:40:04 2006
Check interval: 0 (<none>)
Reserved blocks uid: 0 (user root)
Reserved blocks gid: 0 (group root)
First inode: 11
Inode size: 128
Journal inode: 8
First orphan inode: 28213259
Default directory hash: tea
Directory Hash Seed: 04e82a5e-98ca-4893-b03f-44d5f7227e8d
Journal backup: inode blocks

This partition have noatime enabled.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Jure Pečar

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 22:18:55 +0200
Sergey Shyman <sergey.shyman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have an issue when I can't get directory listing for maildir with huge
> number of files inside. Neither ls, du or any other command finished
> successfully, it just running for hours without any success. Does
> anybody know how I could get directory listing and copies of my files?
> Any pointing would be great and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Have you tried ls -U so that ls doesn't do internal sorting?
Have you tried find?

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org/

Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Andreas Dilger

On Jan 02, 2009 22:38 +0100, Jure Pečar wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 22:18:55 +0200
> Sergey Shyman <sergey.shyman@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have an issue when I can't get directory listing for maildir with huge
> > number of files inside. Neither ls, du or any other command finished
> > successfully, it just running for hours without any success. Does
> > anybody know how I could get directory listing and copies of my files?
> > Any pointing would be great and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>
> Have you tried ls -U so that ls doesn't do internal sorting?
> Have you tried find?

GNU ls is useless in this regard, because even the "-U" option will wait
until it has read all of the files before it starts printing anything.
It must wait until all the data is available before deciding whether to
sort or not.

Using "find" will probably work very quickly.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group

Old 01-07-2009, 01:40 PM
shirish

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 01:48, Sergey Shyman <sergey.shyman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

<snip>

> Here is info about this partition:
> Filesystem volume name: <none>
> Last mounted on: <not available>
> Filesystem UUID: 3395b7eb-746c-4fc1-a52e-76547ca7454d
> Filesystem magic number: 0xEF53
> Filesystem revision #: 1 (dynamic)
> Filesystem features: has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index
> filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file
> Default mount options: (none)
> Filesystem state: clean
> Errors behavior: Continue
> Filesystem OS type: Linux
> Inode count: 30507008
> Block count: 61008816
> Reserved block count: 3050440
> Free blocks: 36021498
> Free inodes: 20268094
> First block: 0
> Block size: 4096
> Fragment size: 4096
> Reserved GDT blocks: 1024
> Blocks per group: 32768
> Fragments per group: 32768
> Inodes per group: 16384
> Inode blocks per group: 512
> Filesystem created: Thu Apr 27 23:40:04 2006
> Last mount time: Fri Jan 2 15:11:02 2009
> Last write time: Fri Jan 2 15:52:25 2009
> Mount count: 37
> Maximum mount count: -1
> Last checked: Thu Apr 27 23:40:04 2006
> Check interval: 0 (<none>)
> Reserved blocks uid: 0 (user root)
> Reserved blocks gid: 0 (group root)
> First inode: 11
> Inode size: 128
> Journal inode: 8
> First orphan inode: 28213259
> Default directory hash: tea
> Directory Hash Seed: 04e82a5e-98ca-4893-b03f-44d5f7227e8d
> Journal backup: inode blocks
>
> This partition have noatime enabled.

probably off-topic to the thread but how were u able to get the above
info. Which command/tool did you use to get the above?

Shirish Agarwal
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3 8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
"Ulf Zimmermann"

tune2fs -l <path to device>

Old 01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
shirish

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 20:32, Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@openlane.com> wrote:

<snip>

Hi Ulf Zimmermann,

> tune2fs -l <path to device>

Cool. Thank you for telling me about this tool.