Old 12-29-2008, 03:34 PM
"Mag Gam"

Default inode question: ext4 and ext3

I was curious if ext4 has dynamic inode allocation. Presently, the
application we run which resides on ext3; we constantly run out of
inodes because each file is about 2KB but there are millions of them.

Also, is ext4 going to be a module or has to be compiled into the kernel?

TIA

Old 12-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Eric Sandeen

Mag Gam wrote:
> I was curious if ext4 has dynamic inode allocation. Presently, the
> application we run which resides on ext3; we constantly run out of
> inodes because each file is about 2KB but there are millions of them.

ext4 does not currently have dynamic inode allocation, though there has
been some discussion of that.

You can create your filesystem with more inodes from the start, though;
-i bytes-per-inode (-i 2048) should be about right.

> Also, is ext4 going to be a module or has to be compiled into the kernel?

that depends on how you build your kernel, it's a config option.

-Eric

Old 12-29-2008, 04:49 PM
"Mag Gam"

thanks for the response Eric.

I am already setting the bytes per inode ratio :-)

I suppose we can wait for brtfs

Old 12-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Eric Sandeen

Mag Gam wrote:
> thanks for the response Eric.
>
> I am already setting the bytes per inode ratio :-)

... then you can set it lower, if you are still running out ...

> I suppose we can wait for brtfs

Well, if we are going to talk about other options, xfs is one as well,
it also has dynamic inode allocation. That's better suited for another
list though.

-Eric

Old 12-29-2008, 04:55 PM
"Mag Gam"

While still on topic, is the compression patch e2compr in the mainline kernel?

Old 12-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Eric Sandeen

Mag Gam wrote:
> While still on topic, is the compression patch e2compr in the mainline kernel?

nope

-Eric