Old 12-29-2008, 07:43 AM
"D Landy"

Default 32k Blocksize Support

Hi!

I'm trying to upgrade the hard drive in my PVR, without losing all my
existing recordings.

The trouble is, the data partition on the drive is in Ext2 format, but with
32k blocks -- so it can't be mounted in Linux, and the standard partition
resizing tools won't touch it (they say it has an invalid superblock).

I've managed to copy the entire old drive (80gb) to a correctly-formatted
new drive (160gb) using dd, and then restored the partition table correctly
(again with dd). The disk works fine, but it looks like an 80gb drive to the
PVR as the superblock etc are still set for 80gb.

Can anyone think of a workaround for this problem? Are there any partition
resizing tools that will touch 32k-block partitions? Has anyone seen a tool
that will fix up the superblock and sector allocation tables? Could anyone
write one?

Any help would be much appreciated.

David

Old 12-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Eric Sandeen

D Landy wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to upgrade the hard drive in my PVR, without losing all my
> existing recordings.
>
> The trouble is, the data partition on the drive is in Ext2 format, but with
> 32k blocks -- so it can't be mounted in Linux, and the standard partition
> resizing tools won't touch it (they say it has an invalid superblock).

Where did it come from? What kind of PVR was this? Anything
linux-based will be restricted to at max page-sized blocks, so if it is
32k blocks you can't mount it on an x86.

> I've managed to copy the entire old drive (80gb) to a correctly-formatted
> new drive (160gb) using dd, and then restored the partition table correctly
> (again with dd). The disk works fine, but it looks like an 80gb drive to the
> PVR as the superblock etc are still set for 80gb.
>
> Can anyone think of a workaround for this problem? Are there any partition
> resizing tools that will touch 32k-block partitions? Has anyone seen a tool
> that will fix up the superblock and sector allocation tables? Could anyone
> write one?

Don't confuse a partition resizer w/ a filesystem resizer, they are 2
different steps.

You can use your favorite partition resizer (parted, fdisk) w/o trouble,
I'd think; it won't care what the data within the partition is. So just
move the end of your partition out to 160G.

At that point I'd think you could do an offline resize; you can't do it
online because a 4k-page linux box won't mount a 32k-block ext*
filesystem, but the offline variant *should* be able to I'd think.

BUT - if this is a TiVO, I'd go look for the various utilities & howtos
which have been published about how to do this, and not try to roll your
own procedure.

-Eric