Old 12-15-2008, 04:14 AM
"lakshmi pathi"

Default How to sell linux tools?

Hi,
I need clarifications on how to sell linux tools. (Though i' not sure
how people ready to buy it )
I have written few tools and planning to write more(by giving up
current non-linux & boring job).
I want to know,which license will allow me to sell tools/softwares? (I
hope to sell the products through online)

Cheers,
Lakshmipathi.G
www.giis.co.in

Old 12-15-2008, 06:10 AM
"lakshmi pathi"

Yes ....Even i like free stuffs ...But how could an Linux/open
source programmer earn money for living?

Cheers,
Lakshmipathi.G

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:36 PM, William Tambe <tambewilliam@gmail.com> wrote:
> You know we like free stuff right?
>
> lakshmi pathi wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I need clarifications on how to sell linux tools. (Though i' not sure
>> how people ready to buy it )
>> I have written few tools and planning to write more(by giving up
>> current non-linux & boring job).
>> I want to know,which license will allow me to sell tools/softwares? (I
>> hope to sell the products through online)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lakshmipathi.G
>> www.giis.co.in

Cheers,
Lakshmipathi.G

Old 12-15-2008, 06:27 AM
William Tambe

I don't know if this is the right discussion group for the subject, but
I am also curious to know. ?-|

Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 AM
"Joseph Chen"

Suppose Lakshmi is going to write ext3 or file-system related tools. Unless your software is really good and urgently needed by some small business groups, it's hard to sell linux software for money. When using choose, it means everything is freely available. I'd show m 0.02 here, hope to be helpful:

1, Have a Try with SaaS. Share your programming experience with some startups, and serve as an consultant.

2, Looking for freelance jobs on oDesk, eLance, there are some developing positions, and you can serve as a dedicated programmer as what you did.

3, Start your own opensource project if you know the linux market quite well.(I know that recovering data from a failed RAID or disk is a good market)

All the best,
Joseph

Sponser and operater: Linux monitoring solution: http://admon.org

Old 12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Eric Sandeen

William Tambe wrote:
> I don't know if this is the right discussion group for the subject, but
> I am also curious to know. ?-|

It's not the right list, and it should be taken elsewhere, IMHO.

Thanks,
-Eric

Old 12-16-2008, 07:45 AM
"bimal pandit"

Dear Lakshmi Pathi,*

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 lakshmi pathi wrote :

>Yes ....Even i like* free stuffs ...But how could an Linux/open

>source programmer earn money for living?

>Cheers,

>Lakshmipathi.G

>On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:36 PM, William Tambe <tambewilliam@gmail.com> wrote:

> > You know we like free stuff right?

> > lakshmi pathi wrote:

> >> Hi,

> >> I need clarifications on how to sell linux tools. (Though i' not sure

> >> how people ready to buy it )

> >> I have written few tools and planning to write more(by giving up

> >> current non-linux & boring job).

> >> I want to know,which license will allow me to sell tools/softwares? (I

> >> hope to sell the products through online)

> >> Cheers,

> >> Lakshmipathi.G

> >> www.giis.co.in

>--

>Cheers,

>Lakshmipathi.G

I feel that you should adopt any two of the following models that I have seen generally people use ... while working on OSS...

1) Look for consultation services and specilised services from companies, people etc. as per the domain of your expertise.

2) Provide some extra and good features in your tool and mark them available only with the "Commercial Version" of the tool.

hope this will be of some help to you.

regards,

Bimal Pandit