Old 12-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Alex Bligh

Default bit per bit copy! ext3

--On 2 December 2008 09:14:17 -0500 Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
wrote:

80GB DD/Acronis => 500GB disk (albeit this was windows)..

It showed up as an 80 gigabyte disk/etc on the new hard drive even though
it had additional capacity available.

Yes, that's what will happen. dd will not of itself expand the filesystem
to match the available space. If the device is partitioned, you
may be able to just copy the partition and be left with some
free space.

Alex

Old 12-02-2008, 03:21 PM
"Stephen Samuel"

I think, however, that you should actually copy /dev/sda1, to /dev/sdba1 not /dev/sda. to /dev/sdb
If you copy /dev/sda1, you will also copy the partition table.* If your flash drives are different sizes you might end up with problems.

another solution would be, especially if you are making an intermediate copy on your hard drive, to use partimage.* Partimage will only copy the sectors on the partition that are actually in use.. thus saving both disk space and time for the copy process.