FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > EXT3 Users

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-02-2008, 12:49 PM
"milos rovcanin"
 
Default bit per bit copy! ext3

I have a flash memory stick that is formated with ext3 file system. NOw, there is an application on it that I would like to copy to another memory stick. I can copy it, but when I do so, that application does not work properly (it won't start - boot problem???).* Is there a tool that can copy an entire content from one flash stick to another? Thanks!!!

_______________________________________________
Ext3-users mailing list
Ext3-users@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/ext3-users
 
Old 12-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Justin Piszcz
 
Default bit per bit copy! ext3

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, milos rovcanin wrote:


I have a flash memory stick that is formated with ext3 file system. NOw,
there is an application on it that I would like to copy to another memory
stick. I can copy it, but when I do so, that application does not work
properly (it won't start - boot problem???). Is there a tool that can copy
an entire content from one flash stick to another? Thanks!!!



use dd

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

or

# original flash
dd if=/dev/sda of=flash_disk.img
# with second flash flugged in
dd if=flash_disk.img of=/dev/sda

They must/should be the same sizes though.

Justin.

_______________________________________________
Ext3-users mailing list
Ext3-users@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/ext3-users
 
Old 12-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Alex Bligh
 
Default bit per bit copy! ext3

--On 2 December 2008 08:55:17 -0500 Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
wrote:



# original flash
dd if=/dev/sda of=flash_disk.img
# with second flash flugged in
dd if=flash_disk.img of=/dev/sda

They must/should be the same sizes though.


I believe if you are copying the whole of sda, a larger destination disk
will not be problematic.

Alex

_______________________________________________
Ext3-users mailing list
Ext3-users@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/ext3-users
 
Old 12-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Justin Piszcz
 
Default bit per bit copy! ext3

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Alex Bligh wrote:




--On 2 December 2008 08:55:17 -0500 Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
wrote:



# original flash
dd if=/dev/sda of=flash_disk.img
# with second flash flugged in
dd if=flash_disk.img of=/dev/sda

They must/should be the same sizes though.


I believe if you are copying the whole of sda, a larger destination disk
will not be problematic.

Alex



Alex, this is true but I have seen/done this before example:

80GB DD/Acronis => 500GB disk (albeit this was windows)..

It showed up as an 80 gigabyte disk/etc on the new hard drive even though
it had additional capacity available.


So yeah it should work, just don't count on being able to use the space,
in my case/example there was an encryption/disk product involved and dd
was the only way to move the data and if you tried to expand the partition
inside of the encryption product it would crash the machine/windows would
not boot correctly, etc.


Justin.

_______________________________________________
Ext3-users mailing list
Ext3-users@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/ext3-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org