-   EXT3 Users (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/)
-   -   bit per bit copy! ext3 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/204044-bit-per-bit-copy-ext3.html)

"milos rovcanin" 12-02-2008 12:49 PM

bit per bit copy! ext3

I have a flash memory stick that is formated with ext3 file system. NOw, there is an application on it that I would like to copy to another memory stick. I can copy it, but when I do so, that application does not work properly (it won't start - boot problem???).* Is there a tool that can copy an entire content from one flash stick to another? Thanks!!!

Justin Piszcz 12-02-2008 12:55 PM

bit per bit copy! ext3

I have a flash memory stick that is formated with ext3 file system. NOw,
there is an application on it that I would like to copy to another memory
stick. I can copy it, but when I do so, that application does not work
properly (it won't start - boot problem???). Is there a tool that can copy
an entire content from one flash stick to another? Thanks!!!

use dd

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

or

# original flash
dd if=/dev/sda of=flash_disk.img
# with second flash flugged in
dd if=flash_disk.img of=/dev/sda

They must/should be the same sizes though.

Justin.

Alex Bligh 12-02-2008 01:01 PM

bit per bit copy! ext3

--On 2 December 2008 08:55:17 -0500 Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com>
They must/should be the same sizes though.

I believe if you are copying the whole of sda, a larger destination disk
will not be problematic.

Alex

Justin Piszcz 12-02-2008 01:14 PM

bit per bit copy! ext3