Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 PM
"Sheel Raj"

Default EXT3 filesystem data mode

Hi all

Here's my 2 questions about linux ext3 filesystem

1. How do I identify which data mode[writeback, ordered. journal] is
being used by the filesystem on my machine.
I checked /etc/fstab and /etc/log/messages and could not get any info
from there. I know 'tune2fs' can be used to set the modes, but I would
like to know which mode is it in, before setting up any.

2. In either of the data modes, which method or utility would you
suggest to secure erase/delete files and directories, so that they are
not recovered by any means.

Any reply, reference regarding my questions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Sheel Raj

Old 12-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 14:59:31 -0500,
Sheel Raj <sheelraj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Here's my 2 questions about linux ext3 filesystem
>
> 1. How do I identify which data mode[writeback, ordered. journal] is
> being used by the filesystem on my machine.
> I checked /etc/fstab and /etc/log/messages and could not get any info
> from there. I know 'tune2fs' can be used to set the modes, but I would
> like to know which mode is it in, before setting up any.

tune2fs -l device will show you the defaults.
cat /proc/mounts will show you the mount options.

> 2. In either of the data modes, which method or utility would you
> suggest to secure erase/delete files and directories, so that they are
> not recovered by any means.

Use a rescue disk to boot without using the disks and write /dev/urandom
over the the raw device.
Pull out the disks and incinerate them.
Smash the remains up with a sledge hammer.
Be sure to get rid of any back ups you have and any people that know the
conents as well.