-   EXT3 Users (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/)
-   -   EXT3 filesystem data mode (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/203494-ext3-filesystem-data-mode.html)

"Sheel Raj" 12-01-2008 06:59 PM

EXT3 filesystem data mode

Hi all

Here's my 2 questions about linux ext3 filesystem

1. How do I identify which data mode[writeback, ordered. journal] is
being used by the filesystem on my machine.
I checked /etc/fstab and /etc/log/messages and could not get any info
from there. I know 'tune2fs' can be used to set the modes, but I would
like to know which mode is it in, before setting up any.

2. In either of the data modes, which method or utility would you
suggest to secure erase/delete files and directories, so that they are
not recovered by any means.

Any reply, reference regarding my questions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Sheel Raj

Bruno Wolff III 12-01-2008 09:12 PM

EXT3 filesystem data mode

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 14:59:31 -0500,
Sheel Raj <sheelraj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Here's my 2 questions about linux ext3 filesystem
>
> 1. How do I identify which data mode[writeback, ordered. journal] is
> being used by the filesystem on my machine.
> I checked /etc/fstab and /etc/log/messages and could not get any info
> from there. I know 'tune2fs' can be used to set the modes, but I would
> like to know which mode is it in, before setting up any.

tune2fs -l device will show you the defaults.
cat /proc/mounts will show you the mount options.

> 2. In either of the data modes, which method or utility would you
> suggest to secure erase/delete files and directories, so that they are
> not recovered by any means.

Use a rescue disk to boot without using the disks and write /dev/urandom
over the the raw device.
Pull out the disks and incinerate them.
Smash the remains up with a sledge hammer.
Be sure to get rid of any back ups you have and any people that know the
conents as well.