Old 11-19-2007, 10:45 PM
skyhawk

Default fsck

why does fsck take 10 minutes to finish on my 250GB hdd? JFS fsck takes 1
Minute

Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Centos

Hello

our server is crashed and now some files are missing.
when I do ls, I can see the file but when I do ls -la, file does not
show up.

I am going to do fsck, but was wondering if there is any other quick fix
rather

than umount and do fsck.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2008, 09:19 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

Centos wrote:

> Hello
>
> our server is crashed and now some files are missing.
> when I do ls, I can see the file but when I do ls -la, file does not
> show up.
>
> I am going to do fsck, but was wondering if there is any
> other quick fix
> rather
> than umount and do fsck.

Fsck is a necessary evil here, but after fsck you will still
need to do a restore to recover any missing or damaged files.

-Ross

Old 03-25-2008, 10:55 PM

*Is there anyway to automate the following (all from one script):

**** Boot to single-user mode (or whatever is required)
**** run fsck
**** reboot back to level 5 (or 3)

so that you can kick it off, go away,
come back an hour or so later and it'll
all be done (via IP)?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Albert Graham

Tony,

No script required:

# shutdown -Fr now

However, I'm the kinda person what would hang around for that particular
hour!, I'd then shag off after that

Albert.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Konstantin Svist

tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

Is there anyway to automate the following (all from one script):

Boot to single-user mode (or whatever is required)
run fsck
reboot back to level 5 (or 3)

so that you can kick it off, go away,
come back an hour or so later and it'll
all be done (via IP)?

How about "touch /forcefsck"?
It will force fsck to run on next reboot

Old 03-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 23:55 +0000, tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

> Is there anyway to automate the following (all from one script):
>
> Boot to single-user mode (or whatever is required)
> run fsck
> reboot back to level 5 (or 3)
>
> so that you can kick it off, go away,
> come back an hour or so later and it'll
> all be done (via IP)?
It depends if the partition you aare running fsck on is mounted in
single user mode. You can't run fsck on a mounted disk.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:13 PM

*thanks for the suggestion about the* touch /forcefsck

someone here wanted me to ask if we can do*** touch /forcefsck -a
to automate the fsck so no one has to be there to answer "yes", "yes", ...

Old 03-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Rick Stevens

tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

thanks for the suggestion about the touch /forcefsck

someone here wanted me to ask if we can do touch /forcefsck -a
to automate the fsck so no one has to be there to answer "yes", "yes", ...

You can stuff "-y" into /etc/fsckoptions or create
/etc/sysconfig/autofsck and add

AUTOFSCK_OPT="-y"

to it.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 18:13 +0000, tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

> thanks for the suggestion about the touch /forcefsck
>
> someone here wanted me to ask if we can do touch /forcefsck -a
> to automate the fsck so no one has to be there to answer "yes",
I don't think so since forcefsck is not a command just a file that has
to exist,