Old 04-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Les

Default fsck

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 11:57 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:
> >
> > thanks for the suggestion about the touch /forcefsck
> >
> > someone here wanted me to ask if we can do touch /forcefsck -a
> > to automate the fsck so no one has to be there to answer "yes", "yes", ...
> >

> You can stuff "-y" into /etc/fsckoptions or create
> /etc/sysconfig/autofsck and add
>
> AUTOFSCK_OPT="-y"
>
> to it.
Is there any chance that this would mess up an LVM setup?

Regards,
Les H

Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Renich Bon Ciric

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 17:15 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I don't think so since forcefsck is not a command just a file that has
> to exist,

What about using XFS instead of ext{2,3}? How do I make the fsck use a
xfs_repair instead of a xfs_check on startup?
--
Renich Bon Ciric <renich@woralelandia.com>
Woralelandia

Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 AM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 17:27 -0700, Les wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 11:57 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:
> > >
> > > thanks for the suggestion about the touch /forcefsck
> > >
> > > someone here wanted me to ask if we can do touch /forcefsck -a
> > > to automate the fsck so no one has to be there to answer "yes", "yes", ...
> > >

> > You can stuff "-y" into /etc/fsckoptions or create
> > /etc/sysconfig/autofsck and add
> >
> > AUTOFSCK_OPT="-y"
> >
> > to it.
> Is there any chance that this would mess up an LVM setup?
Have you gotten an answer?? I'd like to know. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 05-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Roger Heflin

Ric Moore wrote:

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 17:27 -0700, Les wrote:

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 11:57 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

thanks for the suggestion about the touch /forcefsck

someone here wanted me to ask if we can do touch /forcefsck -a
to automate the fsck so no one has to be there to answer "yes", "yes", ...

You can stuff "-y" into /etc/fsckoptions or create
/etc/sysconfig/autofsck and add

AUTOFSCK_OPT="-y"

to it.

Is there any chance that this would mess up an LVM setup?

Have you gotten an answer?? I'd like to know. Ric

Not unless there is a significant bug somewhere.

Roger

Old 05-09-2008, 05:13 PM
"Tod Merley"

Hi

I would tend to set a flag checked by a utility inserted in the run
level one startup. The script would then be able to accomplish the
whole thingl

Have Fun!

Tod

Old 05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Rick Stevens

Tod Merley wrote:

Hi

I would tend to set a flag checked by a utility inserted in the run
level one startup. The script would then be able to accomplish the
whole thingl

Have Fun!

Tod

2008/3/25 <tony.chamberlain@lemko.com>:

Is there anyway to automate the following (all from one script):

Boot to single-user mode (or whatever is required)
run fsck
reboot back to level 5 (or 3)

so that you can kick it off, go away,
come back an hour or so later and it'll
all be done (via IP)?

Hi

I would tend to set a flag checked by a utility inserted in the run
level one startup. The script would then be able to accomplish the
whole thingl

Er, a simple script:

#!/bin/bash
touch /.autofsck
reboot

will do it. The system looks for /.autofsck when it boots. If it finds
it, it fscks the filesystems, then deletes /.autofsck. Check the main
startup script "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit" for details.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Steve Clark

Hello,

We are running units in the field that are headless. Sometimes we get units returned
that we when we boot them up have some type of filesystem inconsistency that the default preen
doesn't fix but running fsck -y does.

I want to eliminate the -p (preen option) and always do the -y option anyone know where
to make this change?

Thanks,

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*

Old 01-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 01/25/2012 10:46 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are running units in the field that are headless. Sometimes we get units returned
> that we when we boot them up have some type of filesystem inconsistency that the default preen
> doesn't fix but running fsck -y does.
>
> I want to eliminate the -p (preen option) and always do the -y option anyone know where
> to make this change?
>
> Thanks,

You can create a file called:

/etc/sysconfig/autofsck

inside there you need the following lines:

AUTOFSCK_DEF_CHECK=yes
AUTOFSCK_OPT="-y"

That should take away all options except "-f" and use the ones you put
in AUTOFSCK_OPT.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Les Mikesell

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:
> On 01/25/2012 10:46 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are running units in the field that are headless. Sometimes we get units returned
>> that we when we boot them up have some type of filesystem inconsistency that the default preen
>> doesn't fix but running fsck -y does.
>>
>> I want to eliminate the -p (preen option) and always do the -y option anyone know where
>> to make this change?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
> You can create a file called:
>
> /etc/sysconfig/autofsck
>
> inside there you need the following lines:
>
> AUTOFSCK_DEF_CHECK=yes
> AUTOFSCK_OPT="-y"
>
> That should take away all options except "-f" and use the ones you put
> in AUTOFSCK_OPT.

Thanks! Is that something we should have found in the documentation?
I've always wondered why it wasn't the default. It is always painful
when headless/remote machines fail to boot because of this, and the
odds of anyone knowing more than fsck does about repairing a file
system are essentially zero.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Steve Clark

On 01/27/2012 11:43 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 01/25/2012 10:46 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are running units in the field that are headless. Sometimes we get units returned
>> that we when we boot them up have some type of filesystem inconsistency that the default preen
>> doesn't fix but running fsck -y does.
>>
>> I want to eliminate the -p (preen option) and always do the -y option anyone know where
>> to make this change?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
> You can create a file called:
>
> /etc/sysconfig/autofsck
>
> inside there you need the following lines:
>
> AUTOFSCK_DEF_CHECK=yes
> AUTOFSCK_OPT="-y"
>
> That should take away all options except "-f" and use the ones you put
> in AUTOFSCK_OPT.

Thanks much for the info.