Old 08-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Theodore Tso

Default ext2online with 1k blocks not working

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 01:07:52PM +0200, Jure Pečar wrote:

> As a Virtuozzo users we have majority of our diskspace formatted with -i 1024 -b 1024.
>
> Lately I discovered that on CentOS 4.6 ext2online barfs when I try to grow such filesystem. Running it with -v -d, it prints lots of lines like:
>
> ext2online v1.1.18 - 2001/03/18 for EXT2FS 0.5b
> ext2online: 873646830 is a bad size for an ext2 fs! rounding down to 873644033
> group NNN inode table has offset 2, not 2475
> checking for group block NNNN in Bond
> found 2218 not 2474 at 3513[168]
>
> ext2online: unable to resize /dev/cciss/c0d0p3

Can you replicate the problem using resize2fs from e2fsprogs version
1.41.0? Resize2fs has supported online resize for quite sometime, and
I'm not sure the ext2online tool is being actively maintained at this
point.

Out of curiosity, why are you using a 1k blocksize? Does Virtuozzo
require it? Especially for a filesystem as big what you are
apparently using, there will be some significant performance downsides
with using a 1k blocksize. And the -i 1024; are you storing huge
numbers of small files?

- Ted

Old 08-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Jure Pečar

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:47:33 -0400
Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:

> Can you replicate the problem using resize2fs from e2fsprogs version
> 1.41.0? Resize2fs has supported online resize for quite sometime, and
> I'm not sure the ext2online tool is being actively maintained at this
> point.

Ah yes, resize2fs ... I knew there's another tool for resizing, just forgot
its name.

[root@localhost resize]# ./resize2fs /dev/cciss/c0d0p3
Performing an on-line resize of /dev/cciss/c0d0p3 to 873646828 (1k) blocks.
./resize2fs: Inappropriate ioctl for device While trying to add group #78125

/var/log/messages show:
localhost kernel: JBD: resize2fs wants too many credits (3498 > 2048)

And filesystem grew from 485G to only 534G and not 800 and something G.

> Out of curiosity, why are you using a 1k blocksize? Does Virtuozzo
> require it? Especially for a filesystem as big what you are
> apparently using, there will be some significant performance downsides
> with using a 1k blocksize. And the -i 1024; are you storing huge
> numbers of small files?

Commercial version of Virtuozzo (unlike free OpenVZ) offers "vzfs" which
adds some kind of CoW symlink on top of ext3. From the host point of
view, every new virtual environment is just a bunch of symlinks pointing to
an OS template. So yes, there are many files and many of them are just
symlinks. We haven't met any performance issues (yet), only the upper file
size limit (16GB). There's potential for unacceptably long fsck times and
we're rethinking our setup to avoid that.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org/

Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Theodore Tso

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 08:32:17PM +0200, Jure Pečar wrote:
> > Can you replicate the problem using resize2fs from e2fsprogs version
> > 1.41.0? Resize2fs has supported online resize for quite sometime, and
> > I'm not sure the ext2online tool is being actively maintained at this
> > point.
>
> Ah yes, resize2fs ... I knew there's another tool for resizing, just forgot
> its name.
>
> [root@localhost resize]# ./resize2fs /dev/cciss/c0d0p3
> Performing an on-line resize of /dev/cciss/c0d0p3 to 873646828 (1k) blocks.
> ./resize2fs: Inappropriate ioctl for device While trying to add group #78125

Hmm... can you send me the output of "dumpe2fs -h /dev/cciss/c0d0p3"?

- Ted

Old 08-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Andreas Dilger

On Aug 21, 2008 20:32 +0200, Jure Pečar wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:47:33 -0400
> Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> > Can you replicate the problem using resize2fs from e2fsprogs version
> > 1.41.0? Resize2fs has supported online resize for quite sometime, and
> > I'm not sure the ext2online tool is being actively maintained at this
> > point.
>
> Ah yes, resize2fs ... I knew there's another tool for resizing, just forgot
> its name.
>
> [root@localhost resize]# ./resize2fs /dev/cciss/c0d0p3
> Performing an on-line resize of /dev/cciss/c0d0p3 to 873646828 (1k) blocks.
> ./resize2fs: Inappropriate ioctl for device While trying to add group #78125
>
> /var/log/messages show:
> localhost kernel: JBD: resize2fs wants too many credits (3498 > 2048)
>
> And filesystem grew from 485G to only 534G and not 800 and something G.

How big is your journal? It seems it is only 8MB, which isn't large
enough to a resize 870GB filesystem.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group

Old 08-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Eric Sandeen

Jure Pečar wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:47:33 -0400
> Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Can you replicate the problem using resize2fs from e2fsprogs version
>> 1.41.0? Resize2fs has supported online resize for quite sometime, and
>> I'm not sure the ext2online tool is being actively maintained at this
>> point.
>
> Ah yes, resize2fs ... I knew there's another tool for resizing, just forgot
> its name.
>
> [root@localhost resize]# ./resize2fs /dev/cciss/c0d0p3
> Performing an on-line resize of /dev/cciss/c0d0p3 to 873646828 (1k) blocks.
> ./resize2fs: Inappropriate ioctl for device While trying to add group #78125
>
> /var/log/messages show:
> localhost kernel: JBD: resize2fs wants too many credits (3498 > 2048)
>
> And filesystem grew from 485G to only 534G and not 800 and something G.

You didn't say exactly which kernel version this is, but this might be
fixed in newer RHEL (er, CentOS) kernels:

* Fri Mar 28 2008 Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@redhat.com> [2.6.9-68.28]
-ext3: lighten up resize transaction requirements (Eric Sandeen) [166038]

Although usually I got -ENOSPC back to userspace ..

-Eric

Old 08-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Jure Pečar

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 05:32:05 -0600
Andreas Dilger <adilger@sun.com> wrote:

> How big is your journal? It seems it is only 8MB, which isn't large
> enough to a resize 870GB filesystem.
>
> Cheers, Andreas

Yes, that's the conclusion Ted came up with.

Still, offline resizing works, so I'll just have to schedule more downtime
for the resize to finish.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org/

Old 08-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Jure Pečar

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:36:07 -0500
Eric Sandeen <sandeen@redhat.com> wrote:

> You didn't say exactly which kernel version this is, but this might be
> fixed in newer RHEL (er, CentOS) kernels:
>
> * Fri Mar 28 2008 Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@redhat.com> [2.6.9-68.28]
> -ext3: lighten up resize transaction requirements (Eric Sandeen) [166038]
>
> Although usually I got -ENOSPC back to userspace ..

2.6.9-67.0.22.ELsmp ... almost there

Thanks for info, but it wouldn't make any difference for us, since we're
limited with virtuozzo kernels (which are based on rhel kernels).

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org/

Old 08-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Andreas Dilger

On Aug 24, 2008 17:31 +0200, Jure Pečar wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 05:32:05 -0600
> Andreas Dilger <adilger@sun.com> wrote:
> > How big is your journal? It seems it is only 8MB, which isn't large
> > enough to a resize 870GB filesystem.
>
> Yes, that's the conclusion Ted came up with.
>
> Still, offline resizing works, so I'll just have to schedule more downtime
> for the resize to finish.

You may also consider resizing your journal while it is offline:

tune2fs -O ^has_journal $dev
{maybe e2fsck -f needed here}
tune2fs -j $dev

should create a journal with at least 32MB. You can check with:

debugfs -c -R "stat <8>" $dev

Cheers, Andreas