Old 07-29-2008, 02:48 AM
Swapana Ghosh

Default File permission getting read only

Hi all,

I am not sure this is the problem of NAS (nfs) or the File system, I am sending my problem to this list though. If this is wrong list for my post , then I do aplogise.

Here is the problem in brief:

- The server is rhel4.

- One file system (NAS) has been exported.

- The file system has been mounted in the server. The mount point is like as

nas2.xxx.org:/dev/deg/temp /apps/deg/dev

- I am doing

cd /apps/deg/dev and , creating some file say xx. File is
being created withthe the file permission 644 .

Then I am changing the file permission as 444 as root.
After that when if I try to change the permission of the xx
file back to 644 or anything , it is giving
"permission denied". I can't do any updates on xx file.

- Same type of process I am doing on a simililar type of NAS
mounted file system , it is perfectly alright.

If anyone gives me some pointers that will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Alex Bligh

I take it you've checked you are not using root squash NFS mount option.

Alex

--On 28 July 2008 19:48:16 -0700 Swapana Ghosh <swapana_ghosh@yahoo.com>