Old 07-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Default e2fsck message "inode is too big"

Hallo List,

after rebooting one of our systems one of
the ext3 filesystems, that was cleanly unmounted, fsck stopped the boot
process due to critical errors in that filesystem.

Running fsck -y manually returned, that one
of the i-nodes is "too big" an was truncated.

After this about three million i-nodes were
orphaned an moved to lost+found.

# strings /sbin/e2fsck | grep -i 'too.*big'

@i %i is too big. *

@b #%B (%b) causes @d to be too big.
*

@b #%B (%b) causes file to be too big.
*

@b #%B (%b) causes symlink to be too
big. *

@h %i has a tree depth (%N) which is
too big

Ext2 file too big

shows the according output sting.

In the literature I found covering ext2/3
internals I didn't come accross anything, that suggets how an inode can
become "too big". After all the inode-size is set, when the filesystem
is created (usually to 128 byte, if I understand correctly).

I have two questions regarding this:

1. What can cause this error

2. *Is there any message logged to either
syslogd or the kernel ring buffer, when this limit is reached, since we
couldn't find any. At least this holds true for /var/log/messages.

Kernel version is *2.6.9-55.0.0.0.2.ELsmp
#1 SMP Wed May 2 14:59:56 PDT 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Thanks a lot for your help in this

Kind wishes

Thorsten
--

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This email is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is for the

intended recipient only. Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or

reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited and may be a criminal

offence. Please delete if obtained in error and email confirmation to the sender.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Andreas Dilger

On Jul 25, 2008 12:55 +0200, thorsten.henrici@gfd.de wrote:
> after rebooting one of our systems one of the ext3 filesystems, that was
> cleanly unmounted, fsck stopped the boot process due to critical errors in
> that filesystem.
>
> Running fsck -y manually returned, that one of the i-nodes is "too big" an
> was truncated.
> After this about three million i-nodes were orphaned an moved to
> lost+found.
>
> # strings /sbin/e2fsck | grep -i 'too.*big'
> @i %i is too big.
> @b #%B (%b) causes @d to be too big.
> @b #%B (%b) causes file to be too big.
> @b #%B (%b) causes symlink to be too big.
> @h %i has a tree depth (%N) which is too big
> Ext2 file too big
>
> shows the according output sting.

You need to provide the exact error message, not one of many possible
error messages.

> 1. What can cause this error

That depends on what the error is, exactly.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group