Old 07-24-2008, 06:06 PM
"Balu manyam"

Default ext3 filesystem --> read-only

hey guys -- one of my rhel4 device's ext3 filesystem* went into read only state -- i could see the following errors during the same time from syslog --* kernel version 2.6.9-67 -- does this ring a bell with anyone ?

-------------------------
*kernel: EXT3-fs error (device dm-8): ext3_free_blocks_sb: bit already cleared for block 254146
*kernel: EXT3-fs error (device dm-8) in ext3_reserve_inode_write: Journal has aborted
*EXT3-fs error (device dm-8) in ext3_new_inode: Journal has aborted

*kernel: EXT3-fs error (device dm-8) in ext3_truncate: Journal has aborted
kernel: EXT3-fs error (device dm-8) in ext3_reserve_inode_write: Journal has aborted
*EXT3-fs error (device dm-8) in ext3_orphan_del: Journal has aborted

*kernel: EXT3-fs error (device dm-8) in ext3_reserve_inode_write: Journal has aborted
*kernel: EXT3-fs error (device dm-8) in ext3_reserve_inode_write: Journal has aborted** kernel: EXT3-fs error (device dm-8) in ext3_delete_inode: Journal has aborted** kernel: ext3_abort called.

** kernel: EXT3-fs error (device dm-8): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal kernel: Remounting filesystem read-only
-------------------------

any suggestions/advice are much appreciated

Old 07-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Theodore Tso

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 11:36:34PM +0530, Balu manyam wrote:
> hey guys -- one of my rhel4 device's ext3 filesystem went into read only
> state -- i could see the following errors during the same time from syslog
> -- kernel version 2.6.9-67 -- does this ring a bell with anyone ?
> kernel: EXT3-fs error (device dm-8): ext3_free_blocks_sb: bit already
> cleared for block 254146

Your filesystem was corrupted, and so e2fsprogs remounted it read-only
to prevent further damage that might lead to data loss.

Unmount it, and run e2fsck to fix the filesystem corruption. If this
happens again, you may want to check your hardware; a bad or crimped
hard drive cable, or a failing memory module can lead to on-disk
filesystem corruption.

- Ted