Old 07-20-2008, 09:02 AM
"Victoria Muntean"

Default sharp increase in 'used' blocks after plain fs copy

I copied all files from 8GB partition to 12GB empty partition using rsync.
What caught my eyes, df -k was 1.2 used GB on the source partition, but 2.2 GB
on the dest partition after copy. And dest was empty before copy.
Why ?
I took file list (filename and sizes) on both partitions, sorted and diffed, no differences.
*
It's ~130,000 files , basically small debian 4 install. Block size is same
on both partitions, 4kb. The 12GB partition was created with all defaults.
*
Thanks
Viki
*
*

Old 07-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Bryan Kadzban

Old 07-23-2008, 12:28 PM
"Victoria Muntean"

On 7/20/08, Bryan Kadzban <bryan@kadzban.is-a-geek.net> wrote:

Victoria Muntean wrote:
> I copied all files from 8GB partition to 12GB empty partition using

> rsync. What caught my eyes, df -k was 1.2 used GB on the source
> partition, but 2.2 GB on the dest partition after copy. And dest was
> empty before copy.

Hardlinks (especially to large files) that got copied as separate files,

possibly?
*
Yes it's hardlinks you are right. I forgot -H to rsync
*