Old 07-12-2008, 11:01 PM
"Iskandar Prins"

Default Ext3 problem

Hey All,

I have a serious and weird problem with my harddrive and ext3. About a week ago I re-arranged my entire directory structure. I moved, deleted, renamed files and dirs. I did some reboots and shutdowns in the mean time. And all was fine, up until now.

At the moment I'm looking at the filesystem (onto which I made those changed last week) , but it seems I'm looking at the filesystem from a month ago ( june 20th). *

Now I have a couple of questions:

- How could this have happened?

- Is this a journaling problem? If so, how can I fix this and get the filesystem back from july 12th instead of looking at the filesystem how it was on june 20th.

I did a fsck/e2fsck on the umounted devs and they can't get any cleaner.

Regards,
Iskandar

Old 07-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Eric Sandeen

Iskandar Prins wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I have a serious and weird problem with my harddrive and ext3. About a
> week ago I re-arranged my entire directory structure. I moved, deleted,
> renamed files and dirs. I did some reboots and shutdowns in the mean
> time. And all was fine, up until now.
>
> At the moment I'm looking at the filesystem (onto which I made those
> changed last week) , but it seems I'm looking at the filesystem from a
> month ago ( june 20th).
>
> Now I have a couple of questions:
>
> - How could this have happened?

No idea.

> - Is this a journaling problem?

It is, but...

> If so, how can I fix this and get the
> filesystem back from july 12th instead of looking at the filesystem how
> it was on june 20th.

... that's not what journaling does I'm afraid.

> I did a fsck/e2fsck on the umounted devs and they can't get any cleaner.

I don't suppose you changed hard drives and you're looking at the old
one?

-Eric

Old 07-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Matija Nalis

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 01:01:27AM +0200, Iskandar Prins wrote:
> At the moment I'm looking at the filesystem (onto which I made those changed
> last week) , but it seems I'm looking at the filesystem from a month ago (
> june 20th).

is underlying block device a single hard disk, or maybe a RAID1 or similar ?

I had a similar problem once, which turned out to be RAID1 which was out of
sync (but wrongly thining it is OK!), so sometimes it read "right" data from
one disk, and some times "bad" data from other disk. Solution was to break
the RAID, force fsck it, and recreate the raid afterwards.

> I did a fsck/e2fsck on the umounted devs and they can't get any cleaner.

you did specify -f to force it, I assume ?

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:03 PM
"Iskandar Prins"

Yup, there is a Raid1 underlying. I'm using a XFX REVO 64 SPU 3 Port SATA Raid Card for my raid1 setup. Don't I lose my entire data when I break the raid?

Yup, even with the fsck -f option, the drive is clean.

The windows was connecting via samba (hence windows).

Old 07-14-2008, 07:17 PM
"Iskandar Prins"

Problem solved. It seemed one of my sata cables was loose, I reconnected it and and I got all my data back :-) I'm happy now.

The tip about the raid made me relook into the raid array again

Thanks for the help

Old 07-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 21:17:00 +0200,
Iskandar Prins <iskandarprins@gmail.com> wrote:
> Problem solved. It seemed one of my sata cables was loose, I reconnected it
> and and I got all my data back :-) I'm happy now.
>
> The tip about the raid made me relook into the raid array again

You probably want to check the the arrays elements are actually in sync.
If they aren't you should probably assume the one with the cable problem
is the one that is wrong, fail it and then bring it back into the array
so that it gets rebuilt from the other drive. (Assuming we aren't talking
RAID 0.)

Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Iskandar Prins

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 21:17:00 +0200,
Problem solved. It seemed one of my sata cables was loose, I reconnected it
and and I got all my data back :-) I'm happy now.

The tip about the raid made me relook into the raid array again

You probably want to check the the arrays elements are actually in sync.
If they aren't you should probably assume the one with the cable problem
is the one that is wrong, fail it and then bring it back into the array
so that it gets rebuilt from the other drive. (Assuming we aren't talking
RAID 0.)

Thanks, already did that. Rebuild the array. Now everything isi working
peachy. I'm fairly new to raid arrays.