Old 07-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Pau Garcia i Quiles

Default Nanosecond date resolution

Hello,

By default ext3 stores file with 1 second date resolution but I have
read it is possible to enable big inode and that will improve
resolution to 1 nanosecond.

How can I enable the 1-nanosecond date resolution? I've found some
mails by Alex Tomas, Andi Kleen and Andreas Gruenbacher to the linux
filesystems mailing list but no clear way to enable this feature. Will
it harm performance? (I do know it consumes more space)

Thank you

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

Old 07-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Eric Sandeen

Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> By default ext3 stores file with 1 second date resolution but I have
> read it is possible to enable big inode and that will improve
> resolution to 1 nanosecond.
>
> How can I enable the 1-nanosecond date resolution? I've found some
> mails by Alex Tomas, Andi Kleen and Andreas Gruenbacher to the linux
> filesystems mailing list but no clear way to enable this feature. Will
> it harm performance? (I do know it consumes more space)
>
> Thank you

ext4 makes use of larger inodes for this purpose, but ext3 does not.

-Eric