Old 07-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Jure Pečar

Default max fs size with 1k blocks

Hello,

what is max ext3 filesystem size when mke2fs is called with -i 1024 -b 1024?

If rhel5 supports 8T ext3, I assume that is with 4k blocks, right? So it is right to assume this number to be 2T with 1k blocks?

What about rhel4?

Thanks for answers.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org

Old 07-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Eric Sandeen

Jure Pečar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what is max ext3 filesystem size when mke2fs is called with -i 1024 -b 1024?

32-bit block number container, so 2^32 * 1024 = 4T.

> If rhel5 supports 8T ext3,

16T actually, in 2.6.19 and beyond (or distros which backported the fixes)

> I assume that is with 4k blocks, right?

Yep.

> So it is right to assume this number to be 2T with 1k blocks?

s/b 4T, see above.

> What about rhel4?

on pre-2.6.18/19 kernels there were really only 31 safe bits, so cut it
in half.

-Eric