Old 06-28-2008, 04:13 AM
"Mag Gam"

Default inode and filesystem question

While reading for fun, I noticed inode does not carry filename. I always though it did. I read that it is carried by the directory structure and the kernel interpolates it. Can someone please explain this to me

TIA

Old 06-28-2008, 04:22 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 00:13:30 -0400,
Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
> While reading for fun, I noticed inode does not carry filename. I always
> though it did. I read that it is carried by the directory structure and the
> kernel interpolates it. Can someone please explain this to me

A file can have more than one name. You can read up on "hard link" for
more information.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:39 AM
"Mag Gam"

Well, I guess this is more for a theoretical question. How the filename is determined if its not in the inode.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Alex Bligh