Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Richard Jackson

Default stride (fwd)

Two things;

1. Most likely I missed it but I could not find how to report the stride
setting for a ext3 filesystem. I do not see stride mentioned in the
man pages for dumpe2fs and tune2fs nor in the dumpe2fs report.

2. It has been pointed out the mke2fs man page description for stride needs
improvement. Andreas Dilger in a post last year,
http://osdir.com/ml/file-systems.ext3.user/2007-06/msg00003.html,
mentioned a patch was submitted. I assume to address the mke2fs man page.

If this is not the case then I suggest adding something similar to Ted's
or Andreas' descriptions to replace the current stride mke2fs man page.

If nothing else change from

stride=<stripe-size>
Configure the filesystem for a RAID array with
<stripe-size> filesystem blocks per stripe.

stride=<stride-size>

The number of filesystem blocks on a single disk. The purpose
is to spread the filesystem metadata across the disks. For
example, if the RAID chunk/segment size is 64KB and the
filesystem block size is 4KB, then the stride size is 16
(64KB/4KB).

These types of explanations are more helpful than something like...

-f fragment-size
Specify the size of fragments in bytes.

taken from the mke2fs man pages. As you can see the explanation adds very
little value. The stride explanation simply seems wrong.

Richard