-   -   Zabbix 2.0.2 SRPM available (http://www.linux-archive.org/epel-development/707273-zabbix-2-0-2-srpm-available.html)

Kevin Fenzi 09-25-2012 04:37 PM

Zabbix 2.0.2 SRPM available

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:29:26 +0200
Fabrice Salvaire <f.salvaire@genomicvision.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I upgraded the Zabbix package to the upstream version 2.0.2. It seems
> to work fine, except I don't tested everything.
>
> Thus I have the SRPM with the update for the spec file and some of
> the sources files. How can I provide it to EPEL ?

File a bug against the epel Zabbix package and the maintainer can
review and apply your patches.

kevin

Greg Swift 09-25-2012 05:36 PM

Zabbix 2.0.2 SRPM available

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:29:26 +0200
> Fabrice Salvaire <f.salvaire@genomicvision.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I upgraded the Zabbix package to the upstream version 2.0.2. It seems
>> to work fine, except I don't tested everything.
>>
>> Thus I have the SRPM with the update for the spec file and some of
>> the sources files. How can I provide it to EPEL ?
>
> File a bug against the epel Zabbix package and the maintainer can
> review and apply your patches.

its actually a touch more complex to that unless things have changed.
The EPEL guidelines [1] state that major version updates are to be
avoided with a goal of 'yum update' just working. I'm not sure how
big of a difference 1.8 -> 2.0, but 1.6 -> 1.8 was different enough.
Currently EPEL5 has 1.6 release of zabbix and EPEL6 has 1.8 release.
This has been talked about several times on list and I don't know that
anyone came up with a good resolution.

One of the options was to change the package name and host both
releases in EPEL. I'm not sure how often this actually happens, or
what the path to get there would be.

I asked about this with 1.8 on rhel5 and got the above response, so I
thought I'd share. That being said, take this as info not a reason to
stop :) I'm all for someone figuring out a way forward.

-greg

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#A_major_version_update