-   -   Request to allow an incompatible upgrade (http://www.linux-archive.org/epel-development/694408-request-allow-incompatible-upgrade.html)

BJ Dierkes 08-15-2012 09:13 PM

Request to allow an incompatible upgrade

I am the maintainer, as well as the upstream developer of 'python-cement', a CLI Application Framework for Python [1]. Current version of python-cement in EPEL 5/6 is 0.8.18, however I recently released version 2.0.0 upstream which is the next/current stable version. The 0.8.x/1.0.x branch is dead upstream and no longer maintained, and for that reason I would like to request the ability to break compatibility and upgrade EPEL to the latest stable and supported version of Cement.

This is a completely incompatible upgrade. Applications written on top of Cement 0.8.x would need significant changes (or a full rewrite of all the CLI pieces) to work with Cement 2.0.x. That said, there are no packages in EPEL that Requires: python-cement. Presumably there are users that are using python-cement for non-EPEL software however that is obviously not possible to know whether it is a significant number or not. Based on feedback, I don't think many people are using Cement 0.8.x but I really couldn't say officially.

Currently there are no known bugs or security issues with python-cement in EPEL as it stands, therefore it is not eligible for an 'incompatible upgrade'. That said, based on usage and its upstream status… I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

[1] http://builtoncement.com

---
derks

Stephen John Smoogen 08-15-2012 09:22 PM

On 15 August 2012 15:13, BJ Dierkes <derks@bjdierkes.com> wrote:
> I am the maintainer, as well as the upstream developer of 'python-cement', a CLI Application Framework for Python [1]. Current version of python-cement in EPEL 5/6 is 0.8.18, however I recently released version 2.0.0 upstream which is the next/current stable version. The 0.8.x/1.0.x branch is dead upstream and no longer maintained, and for that reason I would like to request the ability to break compatibility and upgrade EPEL to the latest stable and supported version of Cement.
>
> This is a completely incompatible upgrade. Applications written on top of Cement 0.8.x would need significant changes (or a full rewrite of all the CLI pieces) to work with Cement 2.0.x. That said, there are no packages in EPEL that Requires: python-cement. Presumably there are users that are using python-cement for non-EPEL software however that is obviously not possible to know whether it is a significant number or not. Based on feedback, I don't think many people are using Cement 0.8.x but I really couldn't say officially.
>
> Currently there are no known bugs or security issues with python-cement in EPEL as it stands, therefore it is not eligible for an 'incompatible upgrade'. That said, based on usage and its upstream status… I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

1) Would it be possible to make a package called python-cement2 which
would track this chain and then you could dead package the old one if
no one wants to maintain that tree?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."