-   -   collectd major upgrade problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/epel-development/693123-collectd-major-upgrade-problem.html)

Christopher Meng 08-12-2012 05:15 AM

collectd major upgrade problem

Hi all,

Now I want to update this software in epel6 from 4.x to 5.x.

But I found that the most important thing I must do is to migrate old data format to the new one.

I don't know this upgrade is possible or not, but I hope successful, even though the spec file is the most difficult thing to handle.

I also feel happy that the official wiki contains a migration guide [1].It has already given a script of data migration. See [2] for details.

Unfortunately I don't know this script is helpful or we should do enhancements on it in order to match the guidelines(and fix some unknown errors).Therefore can anyone do me a favour,help me test the script?

Thanks a lot.

[1] http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/V4_to_v5_migration_guide

[2] http://git.verplant.org/?p=collectd.git;a=blob;hb=master;f=contrib/migrate-4-5.px

--

Yours sincerely,
Christopher Meng

Ambassador/Contributor of Fedora Project and many others.
http://cicku.me

Stephen Gallagher 08-14-2012 11:26 AM

On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 13:15 +0800, Christopher Meng wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now I want to update this software in epel6 from 4.x to 5.x.
>
> But I found that the most important thing I must do is to migrate old
> data format to the new one.
>
> I don't know this upgrade is possible or not, but I hope successful,
> even though the spec file is the most difficult thing to handle.
>
> I also feel happy that the official wiki contains a migration guide
> [1].It has already given a script of data migration. See [2] for
> details.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know this script is helpful or we should do
> enhancements on it in order to match the guidelines(and fix some
> unknown errors).Therefore can anyone do me a favour,help me test the
> script?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> [1] http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/V4_to_v5_migration_guide
>
> [2]
> http://git.verplant.org/?p=collectd.git;a=blob;hb=master;f=contrib/migrate-4-5.px

I'd strongly recommend against forcing a major version upgrade in EPEL.
If you want to package the 5.x version, I'd recommend packaging it
separately as collectd5 (or collectd5x, etc.) which would Conflicts with
collectd. Then people can choose to migrate to it at will, rather than
be forced to jump to an incompatible version (which violates EPEL
policy)[1].

[1]
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#A_major_version_update

Christopher Meng 08-14-2012 11:29 AM

collectd major upgrade problem

Hi,Stephen.
Do you mean I should upgrade this when 4.x is obsoleted?

Kevin Fenzi 08-19-2012 05:29 PM

collectd major upgrade problem

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 19:29:41 +0800
Christopher Meng <cickumqt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,Stephen.
>
> Do you mean I should upgrade this when 4.x is obsoleted?

I think the suggestion is a parallel installable collectd5 package.

I'm not sure how hard that would be to do, but I think it's our best
bet.

Looking over the migration script and guide, I really don't think it's
going to be possible to do a seamless upgrade in rpm. It would have to
modify the config, migrate the data and if their were still v4 clients
it would have to set them to the right thing to handle their data. Too
many parts there that might be manual. ;(

If someone wants to try and create a parallel installable collectd5
package, I'd be happy to review/co-maintain. ;)

kevin

Christopher Meng 08-19-2012 11:22 PM

collectd major upgrade problem

OK.I'll take a look.

And we will keep two collectd as mediawiki's case in next 7 years......

If 4.x is orphaned,will collectd5 rename to collectd?