Old 08-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

Default Octave 3.4.3 from EPEL fails with 3 missing RPMs on RHEL6 x86_64

On 08/02/2012 05:21 PM, Christopher Lott wrote:
Thank you so much for this bit of information that was obvious to
everyone except me I found these packages hiding deep within RHN:

fftw-3.2.1-3.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
glpk-4.40-1.1.el6.x86_64.rpm

I found and downloaded them using my RHN subscription. I also note
that googling the file names reveals a zillion alternate locations.
Those alternate locations are not relevant, you should use the RHN
channels that you are entitled to. Including the optional ones.

After a quick download and install, yum installed octave with no
problem. And now octave is installed thanks to EPEL!

You should not have downloaded and installed them separately. You
have to configure your system so as to allow yum to access all the
repositories, including those "hidden" ones. In this way yum will always
download and use whatever is needed.

Manuel

Old 08-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Alan Pevec

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> You should not have downloaded and installed them separately. You have
> to configure your system so as to allow yum to access all the repositories,
> including those "hidden" ones. In this way yum will always download and use
> whatever is needed.

There's a link to Red Hat kbase article in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL#How_can_I_use_these_extra_packages.3F
which describes how to subscribe to RHN subchannels.

Cheers,
Alan