-   -   Proposed upgrade: python-werkzeug to 0.8.3 in EPEL 6 (http://www.linux-archive.org/epel-development/679427-proposed-upgrade-python-werkzeug-0-8-3-epel-6-a.html)

Ian Weller 07-02-2012 06:53 PM

Proposed upgrade: python-werkzeug to 0.8.3 in EPEL 6

(re: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL_incompatible_upgrades_policy)

Hi all,

Infrastructure is interested in using the Flask framework. I've run into
an issue with the current version of python-werkzeug in EPEL 6.

https://github.com/mitsuhiko/flask/issues/449

Apparently, even though Flask's setup.py states it requires Werkzeug >=
0.6.1, upstream really meant that it requires >= 0.7. EPEL is at 0.6.2.

I would like to update Werkzeug to version 0.8.3.

Here's the full changelog from upstream:
http://werkzeug.pocoo.org/docs/changes/

python-werkzeug is currently orphaned in EPEL and has no dependencies.

--
Ian Weller <ian@ianweller.org>

Toshio Kuratomi 07-02-2012 07:59 PM

On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 01:53:39PM -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
> (re: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL_incompatible_upgrades_policy)
>
> Hi all,
>
> Infrastructure is interested in using the Flask framework. I've run into
> an issue with the current version of python-werkzeug in EPEL 6.
>
> https://github.com/mitsuhiko/flask/issues/449
>
> Apparently, even though Flask's setup.py states it requires Werkzeug >=
> 0.6.1, upstream really meant that it requires >= 0.7. EPEL is at 0.6.2.
>
> I would like to update Werkzeug to version 0.8.3.
>
> Here's the full changelog from upstream:
> http://werkzeug.pocoo.org/docs/changes/
>
> python-werkzeug is currently orphaned in EPEL and has no dependencies.

It doesn't look like there are many backwards incompatible changes (I see
mostly additions, not many changes or subtractions to the API -- a few
behaviour changes that are arguably bug fixes).

If updating the version can get this useful enough to pick up a maintainer
in EPEL, that seems useful as well.

-Toshio

Christopher Meng 07-03-2012 01:51 AM

Proposed upgrade: python-werkzeug to 0.8.3 in EPEL 6

Toshiro,if the newest version is stable,why we must enforce ourselves to use the orphaned one?

--

Best Regards,
Christopher Meng------'Cicku'

Ambassador/Contributor of Fedora Project and Contributor of GNU.

Blog:http://cicku.me
Twitter:@cickumqt
Hope you can visit and leave some comments.
More Contact info see here:http://about.me/cicku

Jon Ciesla 07-03-2012 11:49 AM

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Christopher Meng <cickumqt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Toshiro,if the newest version is stable,why we must enforce ourselves to use
> the orphaned one?

EPEL has rather different goals, and thus guidelines, than Fedora.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#Package_maintenance_and_upda te_policy

It's not that an update like that can never be done, it's just that
greater care must be taken in planning.

-J

http://cecinestpasunefromage.wordpress.com/