Old 06-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Jan-Frode Myklebust

Default incompatible upgrade to apache traffic server

I would like to upgrade Apache Traffic Server (ATS) from v3.0.x to new
stable branch v3.2.x. The 3.2 branch has lots of improvements for IPv6
and SSL that are important to me, and also fixes a crash I've been
hitting in v3.0. But, unfortunately there are a couple of incompatible
config file changes, ref:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/Upgrading+to+3.2

Only the "SSL certificate configuration" and "HTTP Quick filtering
configuration" needs to be handled by the user (if they are used). The
hostdb and stats-changes can be handled automatically during upgrade.

Will it be OK to do this upgrade in EPEL, together with an
announcement to epel-announce, or are we stuck on v3.0 ?

Highlights of this release includes:

* Over 800 commits, and 300 Jira tickets closed since v3.0.
* Several SSL improvements, including SNI (Server Name Indication) and
NPN (Next Protocol Negotiation). Overall SSL stability is also
improved.
* Full IPv6 support, v3.0 only had client side IPv6. All IP related
plugin APIs are now also IPv6 aware.
* New, flexible configurations for managing inbound and outgoing IP
addresses and ports. You can now bind any number, and combinations, of
addresses and ports for both HTTP and HTTPS.
* Range request for large objects in cache are now much (much) faster.
* Several new, and improved, plugin APIs are now available.
* Performance and stability improvements in the Cluster Cache feature.
* Much better performance when proxying to a Keep-Alive HTTP backend
server connection. Overall cache performance is also significantly
better.
* Several stable plugins are now included with the core distributions.
* Supports all gcc versions 4.1.2 and higher, Clang / LLVM 3, and the
Intel compiler suite. Builds and runs on Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris and
OSX.

-jf

Old 06-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On 24 June 2012 02:51, Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode@tanso.net> wrote:

> Will it be OK to do this upgrade in EPEL, together with an
> announcement to epel-announce, or are we stuck on v3.0 ?

First step is what you have done here... see who is using it and how
it will affect them. In two weeks put in an announcement that the
upgrade is in epel-updates and what users should do to get it working
after they update.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me." Â*—James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Jan-Frode Myklebust

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:02:19PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 24 June 2012 02:51, Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode@tanso.net> wrote:
>
> > Will it be OK to do this upgrade in EPEL, together with an
> > announcement to epel-announce, or are we stuck on v3.0 ?
>
> First step is what you have done here... see who is using it and how
> it will affect them.

Great, thanks!

I'll notify the ats users and developer-lists also. I suspect that
should reach most of the people using it. But, is there a similar
procedure for f15/f16/f17 packages? A note to fedora-devel +
announcement to fedora-announce about the change ?

-jf

Old 06-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:38:56AM +0200, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:02:19PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > On 24 June 2012 02:51, Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode@tanso.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Will it be OK to do this upgrade in EPEL, together with an
> > > announcement to epel-announce, or are we stuck on v3.0 ?
> >
> > First step is what you have done here... see who is using it and how
> > it will affect them.
>
> Great, thanks!
>
> I'll notify the ats users and developer-lists also. I suspect that
> should reach most of the people using it. But, is there a similar
> procedure for f15/f16/f17 packages? A note to fedora-devel +
> announcement to fedora-announce about the change ?

You can email fedora-devel for feedback but Fedora has different upgrade
policies compared to EPEL.

In this case, they're probably more strict in the letter of the policy but
you may be able to get an exception:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Stable_Releases

You're more likely to be able to get an exception for F17 than for the other
releases.

-Toshio