Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Mathieu Bridon

Default Package built outside of the el6 branch

Hi,

I just stumbled upon something surprising in EPEL 6.

On the repositories, the latest published version of
perl-Getopt-Long-Description is:
perl-Getopt-Long-Descriptive-0.084-2.el6

However, in the fedora/el6 Git branch, the latest version is:
perl-Getopt-Long-Descriptive-0.084-1.el6

Trying to understand where this -2 version is coming from, I found the
Koji build:

Koji helpfully says it was built from the git commit 1d8afac... which is
not in the fedora/el6 branch, but in the branch leading to f14+.

I'm confused, how is that possible?

--
Mathieu

Old 05-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Fri, 18 May 2012 17:18:40 +0800
Mathieu Bridon <bochecha@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just stumbled upon something surprising in EPEL 6.
>
> On the repositories, the latest published version of
> perl-Getopt-Long-Description is:
> perl-Getopt-Long-Descriptive-0.084-2.el6
>
> However, in the fedora/el6 Git branch, the latest version is:
> perl-Getopt-Long-Descriptive-0.084-1.el6
>
> Trying to understand where this -2 version is coming from, I found the
> Koji build:
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2431757
>
> Koji helpfully says it was built from the git commit 1d8afac... which
> is not in the fedora/el6 branch, but in the branch leading to f14+.
>
> I'm confused, how is that possible?

Well, it was branched for el6 that day and built from the repo (no
commit), so it was pulled from whatever was in rawhide/master then.

I'm as puzzled as you as to why it's the -2 version tho. ;(
It shouldn't be... -1 is the one in git...

kevin

Old 05-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Mathieu Bridon

On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 11:22 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 17:18:40 +0800
> Mathieu Bridon <bochecha@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just stumbled upon something surprising in EPEL 6.
> >
> > On the repositories, the latest published version of
> > perl-Getopt-Long-Description is:
> > perl-Getopt-Long-Descriptive-0.084-2.el6
> >
> > However, in the fedora/el6 Git branch, the latest version is:
> > perl-Getopt-Long-Descriptive-0.084-1.el6
> >
> > Trying to understand where this -2 version is coming from, I found the
> > Koji build:
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2431757
> >
> > Koji helpfully says it was built from the git commit 1d8afac... which
> > is not in the fedora/el6 branch, but in the branch leading to f14+.
> >
> > I'm confused, how is that possible?
>
> Well, it was branched for el6 that day and built from the repo (no
> commit), so it was pulled from whatever was in rawhide/master then.
>
> I'm as puzzled as you as to why it's the -2 version tho. ;(
> It shouldn't be... -1 is the one in git...

I think the maintainer didn't do fedpkg build (or that would have
generated a build for the current branch) but instead use koji build
dist-6E-epel git://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/...

I don't think Koji knows (nor should it) about the branches in Git and
what target they correspond to, so it can't enforce that someone doesn't
e.g build for el6 something from the master branch.

It's still very annoying, for example:
- it's very confusing for someone looking at the repository
- it totally defeats the purpose of a potential FTBFS run (trying to
build something different from what is in the distribution)
- it makes life harder for downstream consumers of Fedora who rebuild
stuff out of our Git trees
- it's generally bad for any kind of (automatic) process based on our
Git trees

Not sure what to do about it though, issuing an update just to
synchronize the repos with Git seems overkill, but leaving them out of
sync is not right.

--
Mathieu

Old 05-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Sat, 19 May 2012 16:15:55 +0800
Mathieu Bridon <bochecha@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I think the maintainer didn't do fedpkg build (or that would have
> generated a build for the current branch) but instead use koji build
> dist-6E-epel git://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/...

yeah.

> I don't think Koji knows (nor should it) about the branches in Git and
> what target they correspond to, so it can't enforce that someone
> doesn't e.g build for el6 something from the master branch.

Yep. Correct.

> It's still very annoying, for example:
> - it's very confusing for someone looking at the repository
> - it totally defeats the purpose of a potential FTBFS run (trying to
> build something different from what is in the distribution)
> - it makes life harder for downstream consumers of Fedora who rebuild
> stuff out of our Git trees
> - it's generally bad for any kind of (automatic) process based on our
> Git trees
>
> Not sure what to do about it though, issuing an update just to
> synchronize the repos with Git seems overkill, but leaving them out of
> sync is not right.

I think updating the repo and doing a new build from it is probibly the
best way forward.

kevin

Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Mark Chappell

On 19 May 2012 10:15, Mathieu Bridon <bochecha@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 11:22 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 May 2012 17:18:40 +0800
>> Mathieu Bridon <bochecha@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> > Koji helpfully says it was built from the git commit 1d8afac... which
>> > is not in the fedora/el6 branch, but in the branch leading to f14+.
>> >
>> > I'm confused, how is that possible?
>>
>> I'm as puzzled as you as to why it's the -2 version tho. ;(
>> It shouldn't be... -1 is the one in git...
>
> I think the maintainer didn't do fedpkg build (or that would have
> generated a build for the current branch) but instead use koji build
> dist-6E-epel git://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/...

It was a chain build, I think I simply managed to find an obscure bug
in fedpkg. It wasn't deliberate, I was trying to get a lot of
packages built for dependency chains.

> It's still very annoying, for example:
> - it's very confusing for someone looking at the repository

Yeah, I've submitted a clean build

> - it totally defeats the purpose of a potential FTBFS run (trying to
> build something different from what is in the distribution)

Actually in this case it doesn't, the only change was a version bump
for a rebuild. But it had the *potential* for that.

> - it makes life harder for downstream consumers of Fedora who rebuild
> stuff out of our Git trees
> - it's generally bad for any kind of (automatic) process based on our
> Git trees

Yeah, it was a mistake plain and simple.

> Not sure what to do about it though, issuing an update just to
> synchronize the repos with Git seems overkill, but leaving them out of
> sync is not right.

Yeah I've rebuilt the package, I'll push the bodhi update when 6.3 appears.

Mark