Old 04-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Jochen Schmitt

Default RHEL5 and RHEL6 with the EPEL RHEL Entitlements

Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 14:03 +0200, Jochen Schmitt wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> at first a great thank you to Kevin Fenzi to his quick response
> to my EPEL RHEL Entitlements request.
>
> Because I'm support EL-5 and EL-6 on the Fedora EPEL project, i
> would likk to ask, what I have to consier, if I want to install
> RHEL 5.8 and RHEL 6.2 parallel on the same system.

Unless you are doing hardware enablement (which probably shouldn't be
done in EPEL), the best approach I would say is to install RHEL 6 on the
hardware and use KVM to create a RHEL 5 virtual machine.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Jochen Schmitt

Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Russell Golden

> I have tried out your suggestion. Unfortunately I have got an
> error message during the registration process for software
> updates, which told me, that I didn't have any free entitlements,
> because the entitlements was used for the based RHEL6 system.

You only get one entitlement, I believe. That means one free system.

Russell Golden
Fedora Project Contributor
niveusluna@niveusluna.org
(972) 836-7128
--
"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will
add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your

Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Ian Pilcher

On 04/18/2012 03:05 PM, Russell Golden wrote:
> You only get one entitlement, I believe. That means one free system.

Most commercial RHEL subscriptions include the right to run at least one
RHEL guest, so the RHEL 5 on RHEL 6 option may be workable.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how Jochen can determine whether his
entitlement includes this capability. Nor do I know what technical
jiggery-pokery is required to make RHN allow the guest registration.

Perhaps Kevin can help with one or both of these questions.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Niels de Vos

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Jochen Schmitt <Jochen@herr-schmitt.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:09:45 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>Unless you are doing hardware enablement (which probably shouldn't be
>>done in EPEL), the best approach I would say is to install RHEL 6 on the
>>hardware and use KVM to create a RHEL 5 virtual machine.
>
> I have tried out your suggestion. Unfortunately I have got an
> error message during the registration process for software
> updates, which told me, that I didn't have any free entitlements,
> because the entitlements was used for the based RHEL6 system.

Well, the entitlement you have received should allow you to install
RHEL-6 on a physical machine. On this machine you should be able to
install a RHEL-5 in KVM. The RHEL-5 guest will 'inherit' the
entitlement from the RHEL-6 host, no additional entitlements needed.

For this to work correctly, the RHEL-6 host must be marked as
Virtualization Platform (or something like that) in Red Hat Network.
Maybe the following Knowledgebase article can help you here:
- https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/solutions/9932

You should be able to access Red Hat Network and the Knowledgebase
part of https://access.redhat.com with your RHN-login.

Good luck,
Niels

Old 04-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Bryan J Smith

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 04:59, Niels de Vos <devos@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> For this to work correctly, the RHEL-6 host must be marked as
> Virtualization Platform (or something like that) in Red Hat Network.

Actually, "Virtualization Platform" allows unlimited guests. And just
"Virtualization" (no "Platform" after it) allows up to four (4)
guests. These were the feature entitlements required for
virtualization in EL5.

> Maybe the following Knowledgebase article can help you here:
> - https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/solutions/9932

Which also refers to the public document:
- http://www.redhat.com/products/enterprise-linux/server/compare.html

With any EL6 release, up to one (1) guest should inherit the
entitlements without having to enable additional feature entitlements.
Hence the recommendation to use EL6 as a hot with EL5 as a guest.

--
Bryan J Smith - Professional, Technical Annoyance
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith