Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Russell Golden

Default Okay to package HTTPS Everywhere 2.0?

There will be new features in HTTPS Everywhere 2.0, but I'm not sure
they are significant enough to forbid packaging for EPEL. So, I'm
asking for opinions.

The new features will include:

> - 400+ new rulesets
> - numerous improvements to make the UI more usable
> - translations into a dozen languages
> - accessibility improvements for visually impaired users
> - an option to use the Decentralized SSL Observatory

Remember that this is a browser extension for Firefox. On most
machines, it'll probably auto-update in user profiles, anyway. At
least I assume so. I don't know the typical enterprise user profile
setup.

Thank you for your feedback.

Russell Golden
Fedora Project Contributor
niveusluna@niveusluna.org
(972) 836-7128
--
"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will
add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your

Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Ken Dreyer

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Russell Golden
<niveusluna@www.niveusluna.org> wrote:
> There will be new features in HTTPS Everywhere 2.0, but I'm not sure
> they are significant enough to forbid packaging for EPEL. So, I'm
> asking for opinions.

I saw your comment in #epel asking for feedback. I say go for it; as
you mentioned, most users will get this plugin through auto-update
anyway.

I think Wikipedia's "Be Bold" policy is a good one If you're
concerned about breaking something for people, you can always leave
the update in epel-testing for a period longer than the recommended
two weeks.

- Ken

Old 03-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 12:06:05 -0600
Russell Golden <niveusluna@www.niveusluna.org> wrote:

> There will be new features in HTTPS Everywhere 2.0, but I'm not sure
> they are significant enough to forbid packaging for EPEL. So, I'm
> asking for opinions.
>
> The new features will include:
>
> > - 400+ new rulesets
> > - numerous improvements to make the UI more usable
> > - translations into a dozen languages
> > - accessibility improvements for visually impaired users
> > - an option to use the Decentralized SSL Observatory
>
> Remember that this is a browser extension for Firefox. On most
> machines, it'll probably auto-update in user profiles, anyway. At
> least I assume so. I don't know the typical enterprise user profile
> setup.

So, the changes from the current version include changes to 'the user
experence' ? ie, UI changes? Are they minor? or Major?

Is the old version still supported for security updates?
Or are they moving to only supporting the new one?
Can the old one use the new rules? Or is it stuck with out of date
rules.

If you did move to this version, would end users have to do anything
manually?

I'd guess this is kinda a grey area for two reasons:
web browsers seem to be kind of an exception to things (10.x is coming
in a RHEL update), and things that need to update off the net/rulesets
need to update to interoperate.

kevin

Old 03-02-2012, 02:23 PM
"Russell Golden"

So, the changes from the current version include changes to 'the user
experence' ? ie, UI changes? Are they minor? or Major?

I honestly cannot see a difference in the UI. Sounds very minor to me.

Is the old version still supported for security updates?
Or are they moving to only supporting the new one?

The 1.x branch is no longer supported, I assume. I can email the list to
verify.

Can the old one use the new rules? Or is it stuck with out of date
rules.

I would have to release an extension update to update the rulesets anyway.
The rulesets are updated only as part of the extension. There's no
separate updater.

If you did move to this version, would end users have to do anything
manually?

No. The SSL Observatory defaults to off due to common corporate policies.
Less hassle all around.

I'd guess this is kinda a grey area for two reasons:
web browsers seem to be kind of an exception to things (10.x is coming
in a RHEL update), and things that need to update off the net/rulesets
need to update to interoperate.
kevin

10.x is probably only coming because 3.6 EOL is approaching. :P

2.0.2 will likely contain a fix for a bug that's been on the bugzilla
(filed against the Fedora version) for a couple months. I'd like to
resolve that one in both Fedora and EPEL.

Russell Golden

Old 03-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Kevin Fenzi

...snip...

based on all that, it sounds to me like it's probibly worth pushing
into epel over the current version.

kevin

Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Russell Golden

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> ...snip...
>
> based on all that, it sounds to me like it's probibly worth pushing
> into epel over the current version.
>
> kevin

All right then. Thank you for the feedback, everyone.