FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-18-2012, 04:14 AM
Orion Poplawski
 
Default hwloc 1.4

hwloc 1.4 has been submitted as an update to EPEL5 and 6:

<https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-0500/hwloc-1.4-1.el5>
<https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-0501/hwloc-1.4-1.el6>

There are two problems with this:

- hwloc 1.1 is now in RHEL6:
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/hwloc-1.1-0.1.el6.src.rpm
- hwloc 1.1 has a soname of libhwloc.so.1, 1.4 has libhwloc.so.4,
although nothing in RHEL5/6 or EPEL5/6 appears to depend on it.


--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222
NWRA/CoRA Division FAX: 303-415-9702
3380 Mitchell Lane orion@cora.nwra.com
Boulder, CO 80301 http://www.cora.nwra.com

_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 
Old 02-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Stephen John Smoogen
 
Default hwloc 1.4

On 17 February 2012 22:14, Orion Poplawski <orion@cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> hwloc 1.4 has been submitted as an update to EPEL5 and 6:
>
> <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-0500/hwloc-1.4-1.el5>
> <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-0501/hwloc-1.4-1.el6>

Good catch. Looks like it needs to be blocked or renamed.

> There are two problems with this:
>
> - hwloc 1.1 is now in RHEL6:
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/hwloc-1.1-0.1.el6.src.rpm
> - hwloc 1.1 has a soname of libhwloc.so.1, 1.4 has libhwloc.so.4, although
> nothing in RHEL5/6 or EPEL5/6 appears to depend on it.
>
> --
> Orion Poplawski
> Technical Manager * * * * * * * * * * 303-415-9701 x222
> NWRA/CoRA Division * * * * * * * * * *FAX: 303-415-9702
> 3380 Mitchell Lane * * * * * * * * *orion@cora.nwra.com
> Boulder, CO 80301 * * * * * * *http://www.cora.nwra.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> epel-devel-list mailing list
> epel-devel-list@redhat.com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list



--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance."
Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.
"Years ago my mother used to say to me,... Elwood, you must be oh
so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I
recommend pleasant. You may quote me." *—James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 
Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Kevin Fenzi
 
Default hwloc 1.4

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 22:14:20 -0700
Orion Poplawski <orion@cora.nwra.com> wrote:

> hwloc 1.4 has been submitted as an update to EPEL5 and 6:
>
> <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-0500/hwloc-1.4-1.el5>
> <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-0501/hwloc-1.4-1.el6>
>
> There are two problems with this:
>
> - hwloc 1.1 is now in RHEL6:
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/hwloc-1.1-0.1.el6.src.rpm
> - hwloc 1.1 has a soname of libhwloc.so.1, 1.4 has libhwloc.so.4,
> although nothing in RHEL5/6 or EPEL5/6 appears to depend on it.

I've unpushed the epel6 update with a comment asking the maintainer to
end of life the el6 branch.

kevin


_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 
Old 02-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Orion Poplawski
 
Default hwloc 1.4

On 02/18/2012 10:58 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 22:14:20 -0700
Orion Poplawski<orion@cora.nwra.com> wrote:


hwloc 1.4 has been submitted as an update to EPEL5 and 6:

<https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-0500/hwloc-1.4-1.el5>
<https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-0501/hwloc-1.4-1.el6>

There are two problems with this:

- hwloc 1.1 is now in RHEL6:
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/hwloc-1.1-0.1.el6.src.rpm
- hwloc 1.1 has a soname of libhwloc.so.1, 1.4 has libhwloc.so.4,
although nothing in RHEL5/6 or EPEL5/6 appears to depend on it.


I've unpushed the epel6 update with a comment asking the maintainer to
end of life the el6 branch.

kevin


I think the epel5 update needs to be stopped too as it would prevent
upgrade paths from EL5->EL6.



--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222
NWRA/CoRA Division FAX: 303-415-9702
3380 Mitchell Lane orion@cora.nwra.com
Boulder, CO 80301 http://www.cora.nwra.com

_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 
Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Kevin Fenzi
 
Default hwloc 1.4

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 11:16:41 -0700
Orion Poplawski <orion@cora.nwra.com> wrote:

> On 02/18/2012 10:58 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 22:14:20 -0700
> > Orion Poplawski<orion@cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> >
> >> hwloc 1.4 has been submitted as an update to EPEL5 and 6:
> >>
> >> <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-0500/hwloc-1.4-1.el5>
> >> <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-0501/hwloc-1.4-1.el6>
> >>
> >> There are two problems with this:
> >>
> >> - hwloc 1.1 is now in RHEL6:
> >> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/hwloc-1.1-0.1.el6.src.rpm
> >> - hwloc 1.1 has a soname of libhwloc.so.1, 1.4 has libhwloc.so.4,
> >> although nothing in RHEL5/6 or EPEL5/6 appears to depend on it.
> >
> > I've unpushed the epel6 update with a comment asking the maintainer
> > to end of life the el6 branch.
> >
> > kevin
>
> I think the epel5 update needs to be stopped too as it would prevent
> upgrade paths from EL5->EL6.

We don't support upgrades between major RHEL versions, so that should
be fine.

kevin

_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 
Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Jiri Hladky
 
Default hwloc 1.4

Hi,

I do see that hwloc 1.4 in EPEL6 can cause a lot of trouble given the
fact that hwloc 1.1 is now available in RHEL6 (when I was creating
hwloc package it was not in RHEL6 and in fact I was the major advocate
to include it in RHEL6). I will revoke the request.

I'm not sure about EPEL5 - hwloc 1.1 is now very old compared with
hwloc 1.4 Should I revoke the request as well?

Thanks
Jirka

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Orion Poplawski <orion@cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> hwloc 1.4 has been submitted as an update to EPEL5 and 6:
>
> <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-0500/hwloc-1.4-1.el5>
> <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2012-0501/hwloc-1.4-1.el6>
>
> There are two problems with this:
>
> - hwloc 1.1 is now in RHEL6:
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/hwloc-1.1-0.1.el6.src.rpm
> - hwloc 1.1 has a soname of libhwloc.so.1, 1.4 has libhwloc.so.4, although
> nothing in RHEL5/6 or EPEL5/6 appears to depend on it.
>
> --
> Orion Poplawski
> Technical Manager * * * * * * * * * * 303-415-9701 x222
> NWRA/CoRA Division * * * * * * * * * *FAX: 303-415-9702
> 3380 Mitchell Lane * * * * * * * * *orion@cora.nwra.com
> Boulder, CO 80301 * * * * * * *http://www.cora.nwra.com

_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 
Old 02-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Kevin Fenzi
 
Default hwloc 1.4

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 01:21:25 +0100
Jiri Hladky <hladky.jiri@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I do see that hwloc 1.4 in EPEL6 can cause a lot of trouble given the
> fact that hwloc 1.1 is now available in RHEL6 (when I was creating
> hwloc package it was not in RHEL6 and in fact I was the major advocate
> to include it in RHEL6). I will revoke the request.
>
> I'm not sure about EPEL5 - hwloc 1.1 is now very old compared with
> hwloc 1.4 Should I revoke the request as well?

Since hwloc is not in RHEL5, I think you can update it to 1.4 as long
as it's not a incompatible upgrade. Will people using 1.1 there see any
problems? Will they have to manually do anything to use 1.4? If not,
and it's compatible it's up to the maintainer.

kevin
_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 
Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Jonathan Underwood
 
Default hwloc 1.4

On 19 February 2012 16:35, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 01:21:25 +0100
> Jiri Hladky <hladky.jiri@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do see that hwloc 1.4 in EPEL6 can cause a lot of trouble given the
>> fact that hwloc 1.1 is now available in RHEL6 (when I was creating
>> hwloc package it was not in RHEL6 and in fact I was the major advocate
>> to include it in RHEL6). I will revoke the request.
>>
>> I'm not sure about EPEL5 - hwloc 1.1 is now very old compared with
>> hwloc 1.4 Should I revoke the request as well?
>
> Since hwloc is not in RHEL5, I think you can update it to 1.4 as long
> as it's not a incompatible upgrade. Will people using 1.1 there see any
> problems? Will they have to manually do anything to use 1.4? If not,
> and it's compatible it's up to the maintainer.

Presumably, a hwloc14 package would be a possibility for EL6? (aside:
quite astonished that RH chose to package up 1.1 for rhel6).

Jonathan.

_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 
Old 02-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Orion Poplawski
 
Default hwloc 1.4

On 02/19/2012 09:35 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 01:21:25 +0100
Jiri Hladky<hladky.jiri@googlemail.com> wrote:


Hi,

I do see that hwloc 1.4 in EPEL6 can cause a lot of trouble given the
fact that hwloc 1.1 is now available in RHEL6 (when I was creating
hwloc package it was not in RHEL6 and in fact I was the major advocate
to include it in RHEL6). I will revoke the request.

I'm not sure about EPEL5 - hwloc 1.1 is now very old compared with
hwloc 1.4 Should I revoke the request as well?


Since hwloc is not in RHEL5, I think you can update it to 1.4 as long
as it's not a incompatible upgrade. Will people using 1.1 there see any
problems? Will they have to manually do anything to use 1.4? If not,
and it's compatible it's up to the maintainer.

kevin


There's a soname bump (libhwloc.so.1 -> .so.4) so I think it's verboten
from that regard. Despite not supporting upgrades from 5->6 it seems
bad form to have EPEL5 be newer.


Orion

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222
NWRA/CoRA Division FAX: 303-415-9702
3380 Mitchell Lane orion@cora.nwra.com
Boulder, CO 80301 http://www.cora.nwra.com

_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 
Old 02-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Todd Zullinger
 
Default hwloc 1.4

Orion Poplawski wrote:
Despite not supporting upgrades from 5->6 it seems bad form to have
EPEL5 be newer.


The flip side to this is that RHEL often lags a good bit behind and
are willing to pay folks to backport fixes and security patches.
That's not the case for most EPEL maintainers so things can and do
diverge.


I recall asking about this when I was updating git and the general
consensus was that keeping the EVR in epel5 less than rhel6 wasn't
terribly important.


In the end, I didn't keep epel less than rhel and git-1.7.4.1 is in
epel5 while rhel6 is still on 1.7.1, with only 2 security fixes.
There's been a lot of fixes and improvements in git that rhel users
are missing out on, IMO. At the least, I'd have expected to see rhel
update to the latest 1.7.1.x release with one of the 6.x refreshes.


There's not really one good answer to this issue.

https://raw.github.com/gitster/git/master/Documentation/RelNotes/1.7.1.1.txt
https://raw.github.com/gitster/git/master/Documentation/RelNotes/1.7.1.2.txt
https://raw.github.com/gitster/git/master/Documentation/RelNotes/1.7.1.3.txt
https://raw.github.com/gitster/git/master/Documentation/RelNotes/1.7.1.4.txt

--
Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you weren't
sleeping.

_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:53 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org