Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Tom Diehl

Default Long-term package versions (RHEL 5+ extended to 10 years until EOL)

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

On 9 February 2012 09:47, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:42:06 +0100
Xavier Bachelot <xavier@bachelot.org> wrote:

Well, we could ship a package that removes them, or updates to the
epel-release that conflicts, but I would not really like that
personally. That forces things to be removed when it's not really
giving people the choice of running the old thing still. (Perhaps
internally where security doesn't matter so much to them).

How about the following:

XXX-replaceble (requires the latest package and installs that)
XXXversionnumber (the one that is packaged up.)

When a package is going to be abandoned (like I did with mediawiki114)
one should put a last package with the same contents as the last one
and a doc file (and change to %description) saying "This package is
dead and abandonned. It is no longer supported by upstream and/or
EPEL. You are free to use this package as long as you like, but you
are the sole responsible party." Or some such thing.

If you install XXX-replaceable it upgrades to the latest version as
needed. If you pull in the XXXversionnumber then you stay on that.

So are you saying that mediawiki-1.14.0-45.el5 is orphaned? If so I
totally missed that, so I guess that makes me one of the targets to
this discussion. As such I like the above idea or something similar.

Fortunately, in this case it is not a big deal because the wiki is not
exposed to the net. It is strictly for my internal use but it would be
nice to have known I should be doing something different. I guess I need
to pay closer attention to this list and the announce list. :-)

Currently, how can I tell if there are any other epel packages that have been
orphaned?

Tom Diehl tdiehl@rogueind.com Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com

Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On 9 February 2012 13:29, Tom Diehl <tdiehl@rogueind.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
>> On 9 February 2012 09:47, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:42:06 +0100
>>> Xavier Bachelot <xavier@bachelot.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> Well, we could ship a package that removes them, or updates to the
>>> epel-release that conflicts, but I would not really like that
>>> personally. That forces things to be removed when it's not really
>>> giving people the choice of running the old thing still. (Perhaps
>>> internally where security doesn't matter so much to them).
>>>

>> How about the following:
>>
>> XXX-replaceble (requires the latest package and installs that)
>> XXXversionnumber (the one that is packaged up.)
>>
>> When a package is going to be abandoned (like I did with mediawiki114)
>> one should put a last package with the same contents as the last one
>> and a doc file (and change to %description) saying "This package is
>> dead and abandonned. It is no longer supported by upstream and/or
>> EPEL. You are free to use this package as long as you like, but you
>> are the sole responsible party." Or some such thing.
>>
>> If you install XXX-replaceable it upgrades to the latest version as
>> needed. If you pull in the XXXversionnumber then you stay on that.
>

> So are you saying that mediawiki-1.14.0-45.el5 is orphaned? If so I
> totally missed that, so I guess that makes me one of the targets to
> this discussion. As such I like the above idea or something similar.

The mediawiki-1.14.0 and mediawiki114-1.14.x are both orphaned and
have been for a while. I believe I posted about that a while ago. The
reason for the orphaning is a) upstream has no interest in any version
outside of their 6 month lifetimes and b) the code base changes enough
that trying to backport security fixes are more likely to introduce
new ones.

the current mediawiki packages in EPEL are going to be orphaned soon
for similar reasons. 1.18 has such a large rewrite that trying to
apply Alex THimm's original patches to make it multi-homed won't work
and trying to get it to do other items is also likely to fail. So once
I get 1.18 reviewed and entered it will take over for 1.15 and 1.16
since they are not supported by anyone.

> Fortunately, in this case it is not a big deal because the wiki is not
> exposed to the net. It is strictly for my internal use but it would be
> nice to have known I should be doing something different. I guess I need
> to pay closer attention to this list and the announce list. :-)
>
> Currently, how can I tell if there are any other epel packages that have
> been
> orphaned?

Hmm I think quite a few. I can see if we can find a way to generate
that information.

> Regards,
>
> --
> Tom Diehl ¬* ¬* ¬* tdiehl@rogueind.com ¬* ¬* ¬*Spamtrap address
> mtd123@rogueind.com

Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me." ¬*‚ÄĒJames Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Till Maas

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 03:29:40PM -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:

> Currently, how can I tell if there are any other epel packages that have been
> orphaned?

You can inspect the list that the following command generates on your
server:
package-cleanup --orphans

Regards
Till