Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Default RHEL 5+ extended to 10 years until EOL

People have probably seen this already but just want to make sure:

http://www.redhat.com/about/news/press-archive/2012/1/red-hat-enterprise-linux-stability-drives-demand-for-more-flexibility-in-long-term-operating-system-deployments

RHEL5 EOL extended to March 31, 2017
RHEL6 EOL is now November 30, 2020

What do people think of supporting for three extra years? Does it cause
undue hardship for anyone? Do we need to adjust for maintainers who
silently abandon their packages? Or is it ho-hum, three more years.

-Toshio

Old 02-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Adam Miller

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 08:32:04AM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> People have probably seen this already but just want to make sure:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/about/news/press-archive/2012/1/red-hat-enterprise-linux-stability-drives-demand-for-more-flexibility-in-long-term-operating-system-deployments
>
> RHEL5 EOL extended to March 31, 2017
> RHEL6 EOL is now November 30, 2020
>
> What do people think of supporting for three extra years? Does it cause
> undue hardship for anyone? Do we need to adjust for maintainers who
> silently abandon their packages? Or is it ho-hum, three more years.
>
> -Toshio

I don't personally have any real issues with longer EOL, its not really
any newly created challenge but just that we continue along with
challenges we face today for a bit longer than originally planned.

Just my $0.02

-AdamM