Old 01-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Ken Dreyer

Default announce EOL for EPEL-4?

Would it be feasible to send an announcement to the appropriate
list(s) that EPEL-4 is going to be officially EOL in a month? I see
some discussion on this list, but nothing to epel-announce.

- Ken

Old 02-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:01:20 -0700
Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com> wrote:

> Would it be feasible to send an announcement to the appropriate
> list(s) that EPEL-4 is going to be officially EOL in a month? I see
> some discussion on this list, but nothing to epel-announce.

Yeah, might be a good idea.

I can do so later today... something like:

RHEL 4 reaches End Of Life on 2012-02-29. Accordingly, EPEL4 will also
reach End Of Life then. This means:

- All existing EPEL4 builds will be moved to archives.
- MirrorManager will be adjusted to point existing requests to the
archive url.
- References to EPEL4 will be removed from the wiki and other
documentation.
- The build system will no longer do any builds for EPEL4 branches.
- The updates system will no longer push any updates for EPEL4.

Please consider upgrading to a supported release before this deadline.

kevin

Old 02-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Niels de Vos

On 1 Feb 2012 09:38, "Kevin Fenzi" <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:01:20 -0700

> Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com> wrote:

> > Would it be feasible to send an announcement to the appropriate

> > list(s) that EPEL-4 is going to be officially EOL in a month? I see

> > some discussion on this list, but nothing to epel-announce.

What about ELS? I think that has an other 3 years...

- http://www.redhat.com/rhel/server/extended_lifecycle_support/

Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On 1 February 2012 11:31, Niels de Vos <devos@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 1 Feb 2012 09:38, "Kevin Fenzi" <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:01:20 -0700
>> Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Would it be feasible to send an announcement to the appropriate
>> > list(s) that EPEL-4 is going to be officially EOL in a month? I see
>> > some discussion on this list, but nothing to epel-announce.
>
> What about ELS? I think that has an other 3 years...
> - http://www.redhat.com/rhel/server/extended_lifecycle_support/

General members don't have access to ELS and I believe CentOS and
SciLinux are ending their support of EL4 meaning that the versions
most contributors have will be EOL.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me." Â*—James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

Old 02-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Ken Dreyer

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Niels de Vos <devos@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> What about ELS? I think that has an other 3 years...

Right, this is why I brought it up. It would be useful to explicitly
announce, "We are not supporting EPEL-4, including security updates,
during the ELS cycle".

Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 12:59:24 -0700
Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Niels de Vos
> <devos@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > What about ELS? I think that has an other 3 years...
>
> Right, this is why I brought it up. It would be useful to explicitly
> announce, "We are not supporting EPEL-4, including security updates,
> during the ELS cycle".

Good call. I will add:

EPEL will not be providing any updates or fixes for those using the ELS
support from their upstream vendor.

?

kevin

Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Niels de Vos

On 02/01/2012 09:55 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 12:59:24 -0700
> Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Niels de Vos
>> <devos@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> What about ELS? I think that has an other 3 years...
>>
>> Right, this is why I brought it up. It would be useful to explicitly
>> announce, "We are not supporting EPEL-4, including security updates,
>> during the ELS cycle".
>
> Good call. I will add:
>
> EPEL will not be providing any updates or fixes for those using the ELS
> support from their upstream vendor.

Yeah, it makes it very clear if you add that note.

Thanks,
Niels