Old 01-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

Default Plans for EL4 End of Life

On 5 January 2012 10:32, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 01:33:31PM +0100, Karel Volný wrote:

> I suppose the next question is how long did you/I/we "agree to attempt"?
>
> I agreed to go until EOL; not to the end of extended life. *But I don't see
> that canonified on the EPEL wiki and policy pages... so it must have just
> been what we talked about on the mailing lists back in 2006 and 2007.

Originally it was only until EOL and was very clear about that. It was
one of the reasons why we didn't support EL-3 as it was coming up to
EOL and while it would have EUS, it was not something we had support
for. I am not much interested in supporting EL-4 as I have had to pull
all my packages from it already. They either don't build or require
fixes which are beyond my skill to accomplish. I also have no EL-4
systems that I run anymore so it isn't 'fun'.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me." *—James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

Old 01-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Christopher McCrory

Hello...

On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 21:21 -0800, Michael Stahnke wrote:
> So, we have about 60 days until EL4 goes to End of Life from Red
> Hat[1] (and thus triggering CentOS, and I imagine Oracle, Scientific
> et al).
>
> What are the plans for EPEL 4?
>
> The way I see we have a few options:
>
> 1. We stop putting new content in EPEL4 and take down the EPEL mirror
> (thus really end-of-lifeing EPEL 4)
> 2. We stop putting in new content, and leave the mirrors, thus
> allowing those who haven't migrated to ahve some sort of package
> options, with no option for updates
> 3. We keep allow people to add content to EPEL4 due to things like
> extended support
> 4. Some other option I haven't though about yet.

What happens to the git repo branches? If the branches stay then anyone
still using RHEL4 could use git checkout, fedpkg, and mock to build
their own packages with any security patches they need.

> I like 1 the best, because it only helps enforce lifecycle planning.
> And when I worked in big enterprise, I needed all the help I could get
> to be able to move systems. Plus it allows our maintainers to
> focus effort on 5/6 enhancements and fixes.
>

> Any discussion or suggestions welcome.
>

> [1] https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/
>
> stahnma

Christopher McCrory
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 11:40:36AM -0800, Christopher McCrory wrote:
> Hello...
>
> On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 21:21 -0800, Michael Stahnke wrote:
> > So, we have about 60 days until EL4 goes to End of Life from Red
> > Hat[1] (and thus triggering CentOS, and I imagine Oracle, Scientific
> > et al).
> >
> > What are the plans for EPEL 4?
> >
> > The way I see we have a few options:
> >
> > 1. We stop putting new content in EPEL4 and take down the EPEL mirror
> > (thus really end-of-lifeing EPEL 4)
> > 2. We stop putting in new content, and leave the mirrors, thus
> > allowing those who haven't migrated to ahve some sort of package
> > options, with no option for updates
> > 3. We keep allow people to add content to EPEL4 due to things like
> > extended support
> > 4. Some other option I haven't though about yet.
> >

> What happens to the git repo branches? If the branches stay then anyone
> still using RHEL4 could use git checkout, fedpkg, and mock to build
> their own packages with any security patches they need.

The git branches will remain. I don't believe we'd even close them out for
commits (Extra work to script that ;-). koji would probably be closed to
new builds (even scratch), though.

-Toshio

Old 01-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 11:53:40 -0800
Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 11:40:36AM -0800, Christopher McCrory wrote:
> > Hello...
...snip...
> > What happens to the git repo branches? If the branches stay then
> > anyone still using RHEL4 could use git checkout, fedpkg, and mock
> > to build their own packages with any security patches they need.
> >
> The git branches will remain. I don't believe we'd even close them
> out for commits (Extra work to script that ;-). koji would probably
> be closed to new builds (even scratch), though.

Yeah, another saving of resources here would be that infrastructure
would no longer need to sync rhel4 repos, koji wouldn't need a tag to
run newrepo tasks on for epel4, and we would not need to mash and push
epel4 updates.

I really think the best action here is to do what Fedora does... move
rpms to archive, git branches stay, but koji drops support as does
infrastructure.

kevin

Old 01-07-2012, 03:25 AM
Dennis Gilmore