Old 01-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Ville-Pekka Vainio

Default Grub 2 installation on upgrade and "Your embedding area is unusually small."

Hi,

I just upgraded a Fedora 14 system to Fedora 16 with Preupgrade. The
installation is so old that it still has the small (200 MB?) default
/boot partition.

Anaconda didn't install Grub 2 at all during the upgrade. It probably
tried but failed because when I tried installing Grub 2 manually by
booting to the rescue mode of the installation DVD, the error message I
got was something like this (copied from a Google search):

"/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small.
core.img won't fit in it..
/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be
installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are
UNRELIABLE and its use is discouraged.."

After using --force Grub 2 installed successfully and seems to work
fine. I admit that I know very little about Grub 2, but could Anaconda
use --force when installing Grub 2? If Grub 2 manages to install after
all, it'll be better than having a Grub 1 installation which can't boot
anything.

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio