Old 12-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Mizery De Aria

Default Package for newly open sourced linux game, Beret

I would like to help spread availability of a linux game that has been recently open sourced by encouraging it to be included in package repositories.* I don't use Red Hat and am not familiar with RPM and would like to request if anyone else is available to prepare a package for the game.* See http://www.indiedb.com/games/beret/forum/thread/open-source

Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Nelson Manuel Marques

Hi,

I have just a question about the license... It's shipped as LGPL, but
includes the following on the README.txt:

"This game is freeware. Please do not modify or distribute without the
author's permission."

Sorry for the question (I'm not much familiar with licensing issues),
but isn't this a bit odd ?

NM

Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Jon Ciesla

I have just a question about the license... It's shipped as LGPL, but

includes the following on the README.txt:

"This game is freeware. Please do not modify or distribute without the

author's permission."

Sorry for the question (I'm not much familiar with licensing issues),

but isn't this a bit odd ?

With that stipulation, it's not really LGPL, and also can't be in Fedora.

-J

NM

On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 14:17 -0600, Mizery De Aria wrote:

> I would like to help spread availability of a linux game that has been

> recently open sourced by encouraging it to be included in package

> repositories. *I don't use Red Hat and am not familiar with RPM and

> would like to request if anyone else is available to prepare a package

> for the game. *See

> http://www.indiedb.com/games/beret/forum/thread/open-source

in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Old 12-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Mizery De Aria

Did you mean that this:

Regarding licensing, Kiwisauce mentioned in the IRC channel about using
LGPL.* Prior to providing the code as open source the README.txt file
had indicated freeware.* It is likely that Kiwisauce had not updated the
README.txt and perhaps some other files to reflect the transition to a
permissive open source license.* Also, I noticed that those files are
not included in the repository.* It may be that he simply forgot.
is "not really LGPL, and also can't be in Fedora." ?* I am not familiar with licensing practices, but I was under the impression that if an author releases something as proprietary freeware and then later releases the code for it with a more permissive license, that the code would then be available under that license.* Perhaps though, first come first serve type of license is applicable and regardless of what additional licensing Kiwisauce my affiliate with the code, that it doesn't matter and that the code will always be proprietary/freeware?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Jon Ciesla

[...]

It can certainly be open sourced.* The problem is that it's not clear which is really the case here.* If it's really intended to be LGPL, the other restrictions need to be removed, or at least documented as clarified by the author.* It could be that it was proprietary and then opened, or it could be that they've said it's LGPL and are trying to add restrictions to that.* If the latter is the case, that's a no-no.* The former is fine.

-J

Old 12-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Nelson Manuel Marques

The source tree on gitorious doesn't have the file with the
restrictions, which at some point complies with the information given by
Misery.

I don't mind maintaining this game for Fedora, but I'm just wondering
why it was asked on EPEL (Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux) and not
for Fedora. I'm not sure if people use Enterprise Linux to play games

I can also additionally maintain it for openSUSE games repository as
I've got full permissions there.

NM

[1] - https://gitorious.org/beret/beret/trees/master

Old 12-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Nelson Manuel Marques

Another question:

I do see a "tahoma.ttf" font on the source directory... But no reference
to any potential license for that font.

Tahoma[1] as I know it shouldn't really be bundle with this package as
it's proprietary stuff (I think ?)

Could you please clarify us regarding this issue ?

NM

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahoma_(typeface)

Old 12-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Jon Ciesla

I do see a "tahoma.ttf" font on the source directory... But no reference

to any potential license for that font.

Tahoma[1] as I know it shouldn't really be bundle with this package as

it's proprietary stuff (I think ?)

Could you please clarify us regarding this issue ?

Strip it out of the tarball:* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:SourceURL#When_Upstream_uses_Prohibited_ Code

And if there's a compatible font in Fedora, symlink to it.

-J
*

Old 12-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Nelson Manuel Marques

On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 09:23 -0600, Jon Ciesla wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Nelson Manuel Marques
> <nelson-m-marques@ext.ptinovacao.pt> wrote:
>
> Another question:
>
> I do see a "tahoma.ttf" font on the source directory... But no
> reference
> to any potential license for that font.
>
> Tahoma[1] as I know it shouldn't really be bundle with this
> package as
> it's proprietary stuff (I think ?)
>
> Could you please clarify us regarding this issue ?
>
> Strip it out of the tarball:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:SourceURL#When_Upstream_uses_Prohibited_ Code
>
> And if there's a compatible font in Fedora, symlink to it.

True. We can remove that font and symlink it to tahoma provided by the
mscore-fonts.

NM

Old 12-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Karel Volný

> > And if there's a compatible font in Fedora, symlink to it.
>
> True. We can remove that font and symlink it to tahoma provided
> by the mscore-fonts.

symlink? - why?

wouldn't it be better to teach the game to look into proper
directories (if it doesn't use some standard library providing
access to fonts)?

K.

--
Karel Volný